headlights and the igition switch?

I recently replaced my ignition switch on my 72 SB. Actually this is the third or fourth one since I purchased the car in 1998. Anyway before the last switch went out my headlights would not come on. It has been a while since then but yesterday the headlights would not come on again until I wiggled the harness that plugs into the switch. Is this because of the quality of the switch is just not what it used to be or is it because of the little bitty screw that is gone that holds the switch in place? If it is the screw, were can I find another one? If I buy a new ignition housing will the little screw come with it?

Thanks,

Ben

Reply to
benntn

Don't know about the screw, but the replacement switches are junque. I would simply bypass the headlight "feature" in the switch.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
benntn

To bypass: Cut the Blk/Yell wire off the Ignition switch. Pull the wire back up to the fuse block and remove it from the fuse terminal. (Or, leave it on the switch and just tape up the other end.)

Find the Blk/Yell wire from the Headlight switch. Remove it from the fuse terminal. Connect the wire end to Fuse 7,8,9. These fuses are jumpered with a brass bar on one side. You want *that* side. There will be several solid Red wires on there. The fattest one is the feed right from the battery. You want your Blk/Yell to be connected to the fat Red.

(Disconnect battery before working on this.)

Next, you need to provide power to Fuse #10 (where the Blk/Yell used to be). Make a short jumper from Fuse #10 to Fuse #11,12. That will energize Fuse #10 from the Ignition switch to run the gauge and wipers.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Jim,

Thank you for your time and expertise. I will try this over the weekend. I really hate rigging things differently but I guess when you can't buy decent parts anymore you have no choice.

Ben

Reply to
benntn