headlights - what a fiasco (was d'oh)

So, its a nice day here in PG county right outside DC and decided it was a good day to replace my burnt headlamp. Went to the local VW parts place (Peek Performance) and bought the last 6v sealed beam they had. So, look at Malcolm's instructions and see what appears to be 1,2 small screw holes (but no screws) at the 4 & 7 position (or there abouts) and no third screw hole. Uh oh. So Pull the entire bucket out. pull the plug in the rear and then disconnect the parking light bulb holder (figure I might as well replace the parking bulb). Decide to sit on my front porch & fiddle with it. Decide to take the large clip that hooks just above the parking light assy & hooks into the 2 aiming screws. Try to pop the clips that hold the aiming screws to the frame. Can't get it, then decide to take the three large clips off the back (these look like funkier, bigger versions of the small ones that hold the trim ring to the bucket). Finally, lamp is removed. So in my fiddling, it realize the the slots on the ring for the lamp aren't equi-distant from one another & I can't remember exactly how the clips go. I try one & it pops out & hits the house & out of sight. So, time spent looking for that. Can't find it. Finally get the other two clips in & it feels secure. Go down to the little parts bin & look & look but can't find the parking bulbs (sure I'll find them tomorrow). Hook the bucket & check the light works - OK! Grand total to replace my headlight.

55 minutes. Not including the time to go to the store or the time I spent last night noodling around until I realized I have a sealed beam. Gawd I'm pathetic. - DB
Reply to
DB

Two things: #1 - never work with springs outdoors... #2 - strong magnet (for finding springs & other things outdoors if you don't follow #1). You'll need to get another spring clip for that assembly, if it only has two out of three. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Well I did find my parking bulb spares after I put the headlight assy back in. Right where I left it - in the spare bedroom with all my books right on top of the idiot guide. - DB

Reply to
DB

LOL! I hope the irony is not lost... ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Don't worry. Your story reminds me of one of my own.

A pal of mine and I, both driving pre-67 Bugs at the time (ah, sweet nostalgia), one fine summer day decided to take inventory of our ca. 10 collected headlight assemblies. This involved taking each one apart, discarding the bad parts, keeping the good ones, and assembling as many good headlights as possible from what had been kept. (We came away with two assemblies each plus three spare glasses or some such.)

He had just taken one apart: bad chrome ring, discard. Rusted out inner metal ring, discard. Burned out bulb, discard. Rusted reflector, discard. Clips broken or close to breaking, discard. He puts aside the glass, saying: "That glass is the only good part from that light" (or words to that effect), turns around, tosses the big chunky screwdriver he still holds behind him and -- yes, you guessed it -- manages to hit that glass precisely.

*shatter*

Silence. Then hooting laughter from me. "Well at least you took it apart so we can re-cycle the parts correctly."

It did take him a few minutes to appreciate the humour of the situation.

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer