heads for 73 1700 CC engine

old heads (one dropped a seat):

021 101 371 Q (air injection ports for exhaust)

new heads (bought off net)

022 101 372 3 (no air injection ports)

looks like everything will bolt up no problem,

are these the correct heads for 1700 73 bus?

should I replace both with the "new" ones I bought, or just left side, which dropped the seat? I read you should "match cc's", IE make sure both heads have same volume.

Jen

Reply to
jboothbee

might wanna try the shop talk forums, under type 4 group. there are alot of people there who have helped me out a great deal with my

1.8 liter questions.
Reply to
ysail1

Everything you ever would want to know about type 4 heads.

If I read it correctly the new ones are 1800s--to big. Hard to make them smaller for your 1700. Measure the diameter of the combustion chamber to see if they are equal. The 3 in (022 101 371 3) probably an S.

I do have some 1700 heads and could trade you for your newly acquired

1800s--are yours used, rebuilt,or new? I would only do this if your 73 bus was dual carbbed and not FI--larger valves 41mm X 334mm.

I have not looked @ my shelved 1700s for awhile so I can't remember what shape they are in. If your interested I will look closer @ them.

An option is to find old 2000 crank rods and PC kit from 79 bus or 80-83 Vanagon on e-bay or samba and build a 2000 for your bus. You can use your case and newly required heads. IT will kick

This is what I did in your exact situation. Another option is to find bad engine from 80-83 Vanagon @ a bone yard to get these parts. Many of them also have seats dropped and can be had cheep < $100. The Vanagon has a different type head, but you have new heads to use so you don't need to worry about this. Make sure you get all L-Jet FI stuff if you do this--it is much better than carbs.

Reply to
Henderson