Heat Riser Hell

I took my muffler off and tried the clutch cable suggestion on

It was a no-go. My hands were bleeding from trying to push the cable through the ends. They are CLOGGED. So, I gave in and removed the manifold and started tackling it with all my force from on top. I had some success this way, but I still couldn't clear the tube all the way. I went and got some phosophic acid solution and poured it down on both sides of the tube. Does anybody else have other ideas on how to do this? I could see that my muffler is toast and the heat exchanger coupling is pretty well bent, so this is becoming a hell of a job.

Thanks, John

Reply to
JS

If you don't mind dinging the manifold a bit (at this point), give it repeated whacks with a hammer, especially at the bends. Otherwise, you'll need an oxy-acetylene torch.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

the acid they sell at home depot is a weak solution (well it doesn't take your skin right off..I had to test..did nothing. I have had paint stripper hurt, this did nothing...but be safe). It took me all day to clean an old one that came from my 63. I would add and come back in 10 min when the bubbles stopped bubbling, drain, then add new....took all day. halfway though this process I tried the drill and cable trick helped a little, but I think the acid did the job. Just make sure the acid is working (bubbling) and hasn't neutralized.

Thanks, John

Reply to
Tim

You could get a long drill-bit and drill it out. This will require that you open a hole on the outside of each bend in the pipe through which to drill. Of course these holes must then be refilled (welding would be my choise).

An easier solution would be to just find another manifold that isn't plugged. If you can't find one close to you, I have a spare (in Colorado).

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Yeah, I thought about drilling them out on either side and plugging them back with a couple of screws. Do all the years use the same standard manifold? I've got a 1600. How much are you asking for yours?

John

Reply to
JS

Try the "SRB" method, when all else fails (the Solid rocket booster). See my website

JS wrote:

Reply to
John Henry

I think all the 1600 DPs are the same. You need a dual port, right?

How about shipping + $20? What is your zip-code? I am in Colorado Springs (80908).

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Thanks...I'm going to go at it again today. If I can't get it, then I might want to buy it. I'm in California, 91326.

John

Reply to
JS