Heated Air Tube

I have a 1971 Standard Beetle with the 1600 DP engine. The previous owner installed a BugPack muffler and a later model air cleaner with a paper filter element. He also removed the heater air tube and plugged the hole in the engine tin. I want to restore the original air cleaner and heat tube, but I don't see anything under the engine tin to connect it to. Does anyone know if there's something on the stock muffler (which I don't have) for the heated air tube or does it just pick up air from below the tin (which may not be too warm)?

I haven't been able to find any pictures of the original setup.

Thanks again,

-Scott S.

Reply to
compwrench

on #19 Air Cleaner with Connecting PartsBottom of the drawing, Item #1 is the "stove"that picks up the heated air off cyl #2 fins. Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Wow, thanks for that link. Looks like I'll have to scare up that stove part because I don't remember seeing it on the car. Once I have one will it be obvious where it attaches? Do you know if it bolts to the tin around the cylinders? I was a professional mechanic for ten years some time ago so I can usually figure things out. However the silly engine lid spring through me for a loop yesterday! ;-)

-Scott S.

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
compwrench

It bolts to the rear engine tin. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

The stovepipe sandwiches between the pulley tin and the rear tin. It basically pokes down right at the base of the rear cylinder on the passenger side and scoops up some of the hot air coming from the head. You can obtain it new from the bughaus, along with the two downward facing deflector pieces(also commonly missing...) and the correct pulley tin(if needed).

Check out

You want number 13 and 14, sheet metal screws number 6(If you need them, you probably will), and the flexible pipe from the stovepipe to the aircleaner, letter 'O'. This is the same pipe you use to connect the fan shroud to the heater boxes.

I was able to snake all of the pieces into position without dropping the engine but I did utter a few(well, a lot) of expletives in the process. I did this conversion last year and the improvement it made in cold drivability was stunning.

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

Thanks Chris, for the link and the details! I'll order these parts and all that's left is a good stock air cleaner or warm air thermostat for the one I have. Let me know if you have any sources for those. ;-)

-Scott S.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
compwrench