Heater Cables Replacement

This is a small procedure for the record, because the winter is coming.

1- VERY IMPORTANT Cut the ends of the old cables. If you try to pull them from the interior of the car you probably will have them stuck the tube. I don?t know if you will able to remove the ends cable, because the cable is rusted and will break. In my case, I only cut one because the other was broken.

2-Dissemble the heater control (right side) near the brake hand. I think it is

13mm nut. Make a note of the order that the parts go in because it will take more time to replace the cables hen you think. I took 2 months.

3-Block the end of the tubes on the rear. I used a screw with a piece of a shirt.

4-Put a lot of WD-40 inside. You can raise the front of the car to help. I removed the cooper of an electrical cable with a section of 1.5 mm2 to use as an extension to the red tube of the WD-40. The red tube that we are losing all the time. 5-Wait 2 days.

6-Then used a cable made to put the clothes to dry. It is a steel cable covered with plastic. I removed the last 3 mm and used it to work the inside of the tube removing a lot of rust and dirt.

7-You may need to repeat the step 4 and 6

8-I put a lot of lube inside. I used a lube that comes on a can used on the motorcycles and bicycles chain.

9-Put the new cables. Make sure you have the right ones. Note that one of the cables is longer. The longer cable goes below to the longer tube and you if pay attention you will see that this is the correct position to attach the Z shape of the cables on the heater control. The reason is that the #1 cylinder is far way from the control that the #3 cylinder. The longer goes to the left.

10-I also replaced the rubber end of the tubes. Fill them with a lot of grease

11-The rest you know?

I ended the heater cables replacement last night and they are working. I hope it helps.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

You say, "the longer one goes left" now do you mean driver side of passendger side?

Rick Bass Players Drink Bass and Home Brew In XJs'

Reply to
Rick Bass (M)

My mistake. The longer cable goes right side. For me and for you and most of the people of the world is the passenger side. To UK, South Africa, Mozambique and so on, is the driver side.

Joao

Joao Eliseu