Heaterbox stuck to muffler

Hey guys, I am sure that this has happened often so before I do something stupid and cause more work for myself I figured I'd tap into the collective databanks of RAMVA. My 40 HP motor's muffler won't let loose of the passenger side heater box on the exhaust tube. Looks to be rusted on there quite well.

I tried pounding on the muffler with a hammer to shake it loose. nothing. Maybe a dremel to cut through the muffler flange that goes over the exhaust tube? Problem is being careful enough not to cut into the heaterbox exhaust tube. I don't have welding equipment so I would not be all that equipped to fix it afterwards (otherwise would not worry about it... could always braise or weld the slice and grind it down).

So since I need to get it going for a VW Club cruise this Saturday I am looking for suggestions. Thx KWW '65 Beetle, The Inside out Cow '64 Beetle, The Blue Wave

KWW

You've got it, I assume you're replacing the muffler. Split it either with the dremel carefully, or using a sharp chisel. Spray it with some kroil or PB blaster to wick in and loosen things up.

Reply to
Gary Tateosian