hello all again, Restoring a 69. Help

I have sure miss yall in the past couple of years. Been kinda busy trying different jobs and all the crap. Cut to the chase. I have just recently picked up a 69 out of Co.springs and will be doing a major. This car is unlike the 67, 64 and 56. its gonna be a pain. The front springs, the two bars, guess its called the Beam, the plates that hold the two pipes togeather and also gos to the top shock is rusted and really messed up. I have started removing the tie rod ends, break lines and will be getting a new beam. How do i relieve the pressure of the springs? Is it the allen head set screw that does that? Burp,,tony

Reply to
tonks

tony the front suspension(balljoint/torsion leaves) are the same as your 67 was...there is no spring pressure on them...the grub screws on the trailing arms are what hold the trailing arms to the torsion leaves...loosen jambnut and then back out the grubscrew and pull em off....you *can* pull both on a side with spindle and all, but is easier to remove and install if you unbolt the spindle from the balljoints first....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On 20 May 2005 23:21:45 -0700, "tonks" scribbled this interesting note:

Want a better car to start with? You know from experience that most anything can be repaired, but why not make the job easier by finding the best car you can before you begin?

John Willis

WEll JOHN,,, IT's this way... Love makeing chicken salad out of chicken shit...,, I'll get it all done sooner or later. tony

Reply to
tonks

now when i take these loose nothing is gonna try to come all unglued? I just picture the springs spinning ,, never done this befor.

Reply to
tonks

no, the torsion leaves are secured in the middle of each tube with another grubscrew and locknut...."front and center"....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani