Help?

Hi guys,

Try and help me out here.

Most of you know I get a lot of mail. Surprisingly, a lot of that mail comes WITHOUT a return address. If it's for a topic of common interest I may answer it without referring to the asker... but a lot of times the fellow (or gal) makes it clear that a personal response would be most appreciated.

Okay, we can do that... BUT ONLY IF YOU PROVIDE A RETURN ADDRESS.

Pretty easy, eh? You ask, I answer and the world keeps spinning right along. But when you fail to provide a return address the world topples off that little peg, rolls across the floor and scares the hell outa the cat! So gimme a return address, okay?

Thanks. (And thanks from the cat, too.)

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Bob Hoover

Right click and reply? Or do you mean it is sent from a spoofed address??

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

I've never done that, P.J. I know of a couple of cases where guys have used my name. Fortunately, we've got a couple of guys on this Group who are pretty handy at sorting out the losers from the winners.

This thing about 'real names' and all that... as a pilot and a licensed ham radio operator, my name and address is a matter of public record -- and has been since I fourteen or thereabouts. True, there's been a few times when I wished that wasn't so but it's the sorta thing that goes with the job: If you want the privilege of operating a radio station that can reach other hams around the world, or the freedom of flying virtually anywhere.. at any time, without having to check-in with some bureaucrat, you gotta put up with the losers -- the guys who lack the wit or the patience to earn those privileges. Think about it for a minute you'll see there's a lot of reasons to zealously guard those privileges.

But as for me... :-)

Hahahaha... I'll bet you knew that was coming, right?

As for me, right now I got this tumor chewing on my spine so I'm a bit more will than most to try and keep the weeds outta the garden. On the other hand... I'm taking upwards of sixty (!!) pills a day. Hell, my wife WAKES ME UP to take... you guessed it... a SLEEPING pill. Seriously! You see, the pain is so bad that if you don't take the pain-killers at exactly the right time, you won't be able to get any sleep. And if you wait until the PAIN wakes you up, you gotta take a double-sized dose to put it back in its cave.. so you CAN get back to sleep. So she sets HER alarm clock, sneaks downstairs, wakes me up and slips me the required pain-killers PLUS a sleeping pill... then slips out of the room before I know what's going on. (Very sneaky, these wifes that loves ya :-)

(She also takes the opportunity to check her Ladysmith and a few other things. And if you don't know what that is, you don't need to learn now.)

The joke here is that if take too MANY pain-killers you could hand me your favorite rattlesnake and I'd probably say, 'Nice kitty,' and hand it back. (Well, maybe not that bad... but close.) See all them dum postings I been posting lately? What DAY is it fer crysakes! (Seriously, it seemed like a good idea at the time :-) But I can still keep all five in the black at 25. (I just wish I could get a few more in the X.)

But what I wanted to say was that some folks had apparently tried to get in touch with me and couldn't. Well... odds are, I'm liable to get a lot worse before I start getting any better, and it would be a good idea to get any of those questions answered now rather than later. So don't be shy. The stupid question is the one you never asked.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Bob Hoover

Reply to
Shag

ps- I know what a ladysmith is and it disturbs me that you mentioned it.

Reply to
Shag

Something to do with Smith&Wesson?

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Yes. Small S&W handgun marketed towards women.

Shag

Hang in there Bob. The advice you give is fantastic. Andy

Reply to
Andy

If I get emails from the newsgroup, most people have edited the reply-to or "my email" settings to garbage, using various spam prevention methods. Some I could decipher or guess and edit to make them work, but honestly I don't bother anymore. The sender should be responsible of providing a valid reply address in one form or another, that doesn't require detective work to figure out. In other words, spell it out.

I think my own email info in these ramblings is equally garbled. I don't send any emails through my news reader software.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

It disturbs me, too. Does Mr. Hoover have any RAMVA members nearby?

Reply to
John J