Help a simpleton with a grease gun

I need Dummy's Guide to Using a Grease Gun. Thought this would be simple, but I am stumped.

The Wonderbus's front end is jacked up in the air, ready to have its steering bits lubed. The fittings have all been cleaned and are gleaming. I have a new pneumatic grease gun

hooked up to my compressor. 80psi dialed up. A new tube of moly grease in the gun, both ends removed.

Pressing the gun's trigger causes a satisfying PSSHT sound. But nothing comes out the tip. I removed the tip and there is grease up to the tip, ready to come out.

Pushing the tool tip onto one of the Wonderbus's fitting and pressing the trigger gives the same satisfying sound, but nothing comes out the tip. Visual inspection of the grease fitting and the tool tip shows no sign of grease-- the fitting and mating socket in the gun are both dry.

Shoot - it's embarrassing to even ask what I might be doing wrong. It all looks so simple -- I'm sure that a mildly interested newt could figure it out.

Sign me,

Dumber than a newt.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Dear Dummer than......

...............Try pressing the little ball in the fitting with a screwdriver blade corner. They get stuck and have to be broken loose.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Ahhhhh . . . I wish I could report that your wisdom solved the mystery.

The reason that the grease was not coming out of the end of the gun was because I NEEDED TO KEEP ON SQUEEZING THE TRIGGER ABOUT A DOZEN MORE TIMES. It took about a dozen more squeezes for the grease to work its way up the final inch of the gun's nozzle. I was suddenly surprised to see a worm of grease jet out just as I was about to wander off and find something more interesting to do.

So I now have freshly-greased steering bits. But oh my God . . . WHAT A GOOPY, ICKY, MESSY JOB!

By the time enough new grease has been forced in that fresh was coming out, I had quite a wonderful mess. Good thing I had a bunch of shop rags on hand and cardboard under the bus.

While I was down there, I could see that the rubber boots around the ball joints were all cracked and open, and the visible portions of the balls were dry and not happy-looking. THAT looks to be a job for a properly-equipped shop.

Heh. I said "balls."

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

ROFLMAO

A properly equipped shop has a hyd tool which can swap out ball joints on a Bus without even removing the trailing arms. May take some phoning around. In the interim, pack lithium wheel bearing grease into the (now open) booties.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

yes, but unfortunately you also said:

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

I'm a man of my words and do own up to saying those things.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

At least you weren't looking into the nozzle to see if the grease was coming out and got shot in the eye... I'm so proud of you.:)

K. "We're friends. You smile, I smile. You hurt, I hurt. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge.... I'm gonna miss your dumb ass."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

Having just discovered how totally yucky grease-gunning the steering bits is, I ain't packing anything with lithium or any other grease before I ask: what's the easiest way to pack grease into my cracked open booties? Dip fingers into grease as if it was poi and smoosh it into the boots?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Poi! LOL Yes, that's the approved method. Put the axle up on jack stands to take some of the load off the joints and maybe a little grease will get right in the socket.

Maybe you could even use your new powered squirter for this!

My brand new German OEM ball joints developed cracked booties soon after install and I've been smooshing them since...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

............Get some rubber exam gloves at a medical supply place and pretend that you're examining that prostate inside those gaping rubber boots.

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Turn your head and cough.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

A politician in the making huh?

Squirrel for President!

Nah,..........too easy to make fun of as a candidate.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Allright Squirrel!........ from Whence do you get all the Fun Quotes?

Gotta be a website they're comin' from.

Give it up.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Could it simply be the man is smart and does not need web sites to qoute?? My bet is on the latter, goes with(If I can spell this now) articulation, grammar and chain of thoughts..

He seems like a person I would very much like to meet somewhere sometime...

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

You spelled that right, but kinda goofed up on "quote." I'm here for ya. ;-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Squirrel not smart. Squirrel types with thumbs. Squirrel uses Tagzilla.

I reckon that's fair warning, then. I will henceforth stay out of dark alleyways and rooms with only one exit.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Thanks Mike, I have been reading these and know I'd never have the time to hunt down enough to compare to the ones that are attached to your posts...........Some are great. Some are OK, but all are differnt each time..............Is there someone that has a setup like that for the AGENT folks?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

This one works with Agent,