Help: Beetle Engine Installation: Auto-Stick

Hello - Was hoping someone could help. I finally have my engine rebuilt. It's a stock 1600cc on a 1971 SB with Auto-Stick tranny. I have the car on jack stands and the engine allready under the engine compartment area. I can not for the life of me get it to slide properly onto the torque converter into the tranny to be able to bolt it up. It has an inch gap between the case and tranny no matter what I try. Please let me know, if you know anything that I don't know. Does the torque converter have to be screwed onto the flex plate first? Does the engine need to be turned a certain way to match up with the torque converter? I just don't know what to do. I have been at it for 2 days.. Thanks.

Reply to
ANDREWBA

You're doing it right; the converter gets bolted to the drive plate after the engine is fully inserted and tightened up.

Has the converter been out? If so, the input shaft splines may not be lined up with the clutch disc. See if the ring gear teeth look like they are in the correct alignment with the starter pinion.

You didn't leave any nuts on the engine lower mounting studs, did you (like I once did!)?

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim