Help me get it running. 15 year old barn find

I found a great 1969 VW Beetle that needs TLC to get back on the road.

It sat in a barn for a bunch of years in Austin, TX. It has not run since the 80's. I want to get it running correctly and safely. Any advice is appreciated. Please add your input on a website that anyone can edit,

I found the info on
very helpful on how toresurrect an old mummy bug, but I would like all of your collectiveadvice.

I need help with three checklists: 1) Engine start up 2) Overall Cleanup and 3) Brake overhaul. I have these three checklists hosted at the link above. I will also need to add 4) removing layers of paint, and 5) cleaning and de-rusting articles as well. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
ppalmer

I had an original 1970 tire on a spare wheel I got from my brother's car after he wrecked it. The rubber was about the consistency of hard carbon.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Also check inside the fan shroud and on top of the heads and cylinders for rat nests. They just luv to build in those kinds of places or use them for food storage. Barns and rats go hand in hand. It would be a real shame to toast an engine that could be saved.

Reply to
TerryB

Absolutely!!

Many have been toasted just that way. And the nests are very difficult to spot and remove.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

What's the deal with your website? One that anyone can edit.. and one that anyone can possibly delete. I don't feel comfortable spending hours filling in info, that can be erased by the next viewer? Don't take this offensively, but after viewing your website.. I kind of thought maybe it was a project.. or etc.. that you were a corporation or something.. I kind of got the idea that you may not even have a 69 Barn Find Bug. Just a hoax to get that website information. So in thesis, what is the deal with that website? I've never seen nothing like it before, that is for sure. It seems everyone is just posting responses here instead anyways. Is it just me??

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
payments338

I'd also like to ask.. The title says a 15 year old barn find.. it's a

1969.. That's 37 years old.. It hasn't ran since the 80's.. 27 or less years.. If it sat in the barn for 15 years, it would have been in their around 1991. But it didn't run since the 80's.. Where does this 15 year barn find come from?

Is this a school report for you, that you want the world to do for you? Rather than give info on how to get your bug running, you asked for help editing the checklists????

Your last post you were in a 67 Westy traveling the nation in question of good VW shops.. Never mentioned in what states you were travelling or looking for a shop in..

Please elaborate.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
payments338

You haven't heard of a wiki before? Look at wikipedia.org. They have had some problems with pranksters, but all in all a useful site.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Well, It looks better than my Ghia did! Not too much rust! Good luck and send us some pics of her running!

BW

Reply to
volkswatson

A 15 year old could get you jail time...

J.

Reply to
Berg

I believe in allowing others to edit.

is a greatexample of what people can do together with "collaborative editing",millions of articles. Forums are great for chat and questions, can behard to read, and "gets lost" on newbee's. You can lock your articles from editing..but that only allows you to edit them. I think this best for your own car. Helpful articles should be free to edit/revise and peer review.

Content is not erased....just revised. Check out the history pages.....one behind each article. See

I think Articles are easier to read, and edit that forum posts on a popular subject. If someone vandalizes an article, they can easily be rolled back, and that user or IP address blocked. Forums are great for answering questions, not good in Articles other than FAQ's. The "discussion page, behind each article allows you to chat on the article itself. See

I thought it would help VW lovers document popular "articles". Forums are cool also, but hard for newbee's to read/search, and tend to answer the same questions over and over.

Let me know how we all collectively can make this a good resource, in addition to RAMVA, for VW fans and our hobby.

Paul

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
ppalmer
15 years? You are correct, it looks like the tags on the plate were last registered in 1992. That makes it 14 years since it was registered. The lady I bought it from said it had sat for 15 years, and it stuck in my head. Here is a pic of the rear plate. I will fix the title....

Edit? Good question....why asking others to edit. Basically, I am a fan of Wiki's (collaborative editing) and thought it would be great to share and have peer reviewed checklist and other articles on VW's. For fun and complimentary to this forum. I think Articles are easier to read than forums (especially for newbee's), and really interesting if peer reviewed and edited by experts. Forums are great for asking/answering questions. The story of the restration and little tips and tricks everyone has is interesting to read and fun to share. I want to make VW's more valuable, restorable, and fun...promote the VW hobby!

Reply to
ppalmer

Reply to
ppalmer