Help needed. Fitting fan shroud to new case

I know there is some trimming involved. I have trimmed some of the shroud, but i know dozens of you have been through this process, and can narrow down for me exactly where to trim. Maybe filing the case is necessary. I just have a longblock, and started putting the tin on. I want it to seal properly for obvious reasons...it seems that somewhere in the middle where the case/shroud meet it is not seating properly. With a little help, i can have this on the road, today!

Reply to
vgonman

where ever it's hitting and not letting it sit properly...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

This must be an aftermarket shroud. Every stock one I've had just fit.

Or is it one of those high roof cases?

Max

Reply to
Max

I got this from Rob & Dave=92s Aircooled VW Pages.

I hope it helps.

Doghouse Fan Shroud - Thoroughly clean the fan and the fan housing, inside and out. Again, painting will make the fan shroud look very nice.

Note:You can use any color you like on those engine parts that are NOT in contact with the hot oil, but for those parts in contact with the engine oil, black is the best color for shedding heat.

Install the alternator fan assembly into the fan housing. Make sure the four bolts that hold the outer fan cover to the housing are securely tightened. Install the doghouse cover and the oil cooler vent (the vent will go through the firewall tin.

Before attaching the thermostat connecting rod to the cooling vanes, slip it down between cylinders #1 and #2 and make sure it will move up and down without binding.

On the rear of the engine, reattach the thermostat connecting rod to the right-side cooling vanes.

Carefully place the doghouse fan shroud down on top of the cylinder cover tin, making sure that - The thermostat connecting rod slides properly between cylinders #1 and #2 without binding;

The oil cooler is not damaged during installation of the fan shroud.

Note: There are two engine tin screws on either side of the fan shroud, down at the base, that hold the shroud in place. You may need a flat-head screwdriver to pry open the cylinder tin slightly to accommodate the shroud. (The shroud tin goes INSIDE of the cylinder tin, all the way around.)

(My note Jim347a. You might want to replace these two screws with two small bolts with a 10 MM head. It makes them easier to loosen while the engine is in the car.)

If you have removed the generator/alternator, place the two cover plates back on and bolt them down with 10mm bolts (into captive nuts on the other side). Use Loctite and lock washers, as these bolts aren't something you want to lose inside the fan shroud.

Note: The fan shroud should fit tightly over the cylinder cover tin. Screw it down on both ends of the shroud.

Slip the alternator strap around the alternator and alternator pedestal tighten the 13mm nut.

Spin the fan and check for rubbing. You may need to level the fan and alternator by adding a shim between the alternator pedestal and the alternator or loosening the hold-down strap a bit. The result will be a smooth spinning fan that can't rub on the shroud.

Reply to
Jim Ed

I wouldn't file on the crankcase. Are you using a factory VW fanshroud or an aftermarket unit? The factory ones I've encountered have always dropped right into position without a fight(go figure, huh?). The aftermarket tinware...all of it in my opinion...fits like crap. On a good day. I've wasted plenty of time doing working on aftermarket garbage tinware to make the screw holes line up, much less fill all the gaps between the block and the engine compartment seal.

Chris

Reply to
Hal