HELP! Starting 44IDFs for the first time

I'm aiming to have the new engine running in my '71 Super by today.

Murphy's Law being what it is...

I'm using dual 44IDFs. I turned the engine over with the starter. Oil pressure light goes off. Good. There is some fuel in the fuel filter. Good. I have connected the 12V line to the + of the coil and the - of the coil goes to the distributor.

But the engine doesn't start.

So the question is whether I need to somehow prime the IDFs. If so, how do I do it?

I'm using a mechanical fuel pump if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Ben

Reply to
Ben

i'm no expert put in my 44 idf for the first time last summer(took me awhile) but when it came to start it just pumped the gas a bit and she fired right up,if it is not firing there probably is something else wrong,is it getting spark?

Reply to
Russ

I know it sounds goofy, but when I put my buggy together with dual

40's, I had the same sort of issue. What I did was blow into the filler neck of the tank. My logic was the pressure would push fuel into(and air out of) the line. I think the mechanical fuel pumps have a hard time getting started without some gas right up at the inlet port(ie, they don't pump air and won't prime with air in the line).

Easiest way to tell if you were sucessful with the fuel part is to look down the throat of the carbs while you open the throttle. You should see a squirt of fuel from the accelerator pump.

Chris

Reply to
Hal