help to turbo

i am looking in to trying to put a turbo on to my 1776 beetle. it got (044 heads big valvs polished and ported, twin 40 webers,

1.25:1 rockers, balanced crack to 5k, breather kit, 120 cam, cromoly pushrods and lightend cam followers.) and was thinking of trying to get the turbo from the wreckers. but what car shal i get one off? the engine had a deep sump and an external oil cooler but will it over heat if it runs right? can i still use the twin weber set up or will it be to hard? am i best to try and only use one? is it best to have to turbo blowing or sucking? witch is easyest? witch is best? will i be hard to set the card/cards up (mixture and tickover)? were do you get an oil feed from? has any one got and photos so i could get a better idear of the hole set up? and last what sort of power can i look at geting but keeping it reliabel (it will do the 1/4 in 16sec at the min). ps sorry about the spelling
Reply to
jex

Do you have the book for VWs call Turbomania by Bob Thomlinson?

Reply to
Wolfgang

Good book to read but I recommend buying a kit either a cb performance or fro aj simms at lowbugget.com If your not to comfortable or not sure on a lot of things the time you spend messing with it will be the time you spending driving it. To me thats money in my pocket. im going with the kit from aj on a 2276.

Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972

You'll need a very small turbo otherwise it will take too high an RPM to produce much boost. A draw-through system is easiest, & you would use only one carb that way. If you do a blow-through system you'd be better off using fuel a injector system. You'll need a wastegate, & will have to do alot of fabrication. Check with the major turbo manufacturers (Rajay, etc.) to see what components are available. A good oil source would be an aftermarket oil pump with a side fitting. On average you'll get a 50% HP increase at around 4 or 5 lbs. boost. If you go over that you'll need a *really* tight bottom end & other mods. HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

It takes a lot to get a turbo tuned correctly. Buy all the books.. My son races the "Hyper Bug" in the SEVWA circuit,he runs a 1641 cc with counterweighted crank,stock rods and Mahle pistons/cyls.It is a blow thru,with a single 48 carb. His car has run 6.83 at 101 in the 1/8 mile. This combo has over 100 passes on it, and the internals looked nice when checked last week.It leaves the line at 6000 Rpm, and passes the finish line at 7500 rpm.It should, by all thats reasonable blown up a long time ago, but it hasn't.

Freddy

Reply to
Freddy Badgett