Help with acceleration problem, possibly with carb.

I think I may have a problem with my carb. But before I start tearing down the carb I just wanted to run by the collective wisdom of the newsgroup.

This is a 58 Ghia with 36hp of course which was running great up until this week. On initial acceleration the car nearly dies but once the revs are up it runs fine. I sometimes have to feather the gas on initial accel so it doesn't stall out completly. Once past the initial hesitation it runs as strong as ever.

I think it may be some dirt in the carb or something wrong with accelerator pump diaphram. Does this sound about right.

-Craig

Reply to
Craig Schaepe

Engine off, look down throat of carb and slowly open throttle by hand. See the accel jet squirt a steady stream from its little nozzle?

If that's OK, look for weak spark, vacuum advance not working.

I would say no manifold heat but seems unlikely that would happen so suddenly.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Glad I asked it turned out to be an easy fix. This is a mechanical 010 distributor which I used when I had the Judson installed. I had the vacuum port plugged with a screw plug. It seems the plug was just loose enough to allow a vacuum leak. I simply tightned it and it runs like a champ again.

Thanks Jim Craig

Reply to
Craig Schaepe

I read ahead and see that the problem was elsewhere but I'll still add this comment about the accel. stream.

It's not enough to have a steady stream... alignment is also critical... it should squirt down right close to the side wall of the carb. throat. Otherwise, the stream of gas will deflect off the throttle plate at the beginning of the plate being opened by the throttle arm instead of getting down into the place it is needed! Mine was somewhat misaligned and I had stumbling problems until I adjusted the arm carefully.

Reply to
Red Bug