Hey John in Minnesnowta

Did you have your surgery ?

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

They canceled it at the pre-op because they were not happy with the blood tests done at my home hospital. So they took blood and I go back in Tuesday morning. The test will help them determine the extent they will risk.

I did learn something rather surprising: a person can have 60% blockage in the heart and still pass a stress test. He might be headed for the big attack and not know it. This can happen in a hospital that has only the stress test and no competent cardiologist. See, the Doc orders the test and a technician (or unqualified MD) reports the test as passed and the poor patient walks out the door to an uncertain fate.

(I failed the stress test, and anyone who knows me would find that hard to believe because I am strong, look like I'm in good shape. But lately I know I could not finish one three-minute round with a bunny rabbit.)

Anywho, I am restricted to mild activity which means I can still work at the shop bench. I finished another camera today. Life is good.

Reply to
John J

Well shit John. You were supposed to say that you didn't need it after all.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

I'd trade my heart for one of a Great Pyrenees right now - even if it made me bark at the moon. Oh. I do anyway. Never mind.

Reply to
John J

Almost had a heart for you last week. 1 of the younger pyrs fell thru the ice on the pond. By the time we got her inside to warm up she was a big pupcicle. Too a few days for her to recoop and by then she decided she liked living in the house. Would have worked well for you as she can't bark or howl. Doesn't make a sound.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

A Pyr that doesn't bark or howl? If that's a genetic thing, you might consider breeding it up. Imagine the hell that would raise with coyote - silent attacks. Pico (My big Pyr) would bark fiercely as he attacked coyotes - almost always when they were feeding. Once I was lucky to see him actually make contact with the bunch - he plowed through them like a wrecking ball, knocking the little critters down like pins. It was hugely impressive. (I've never seen him bite one.)

How big is that quiet lady Pyr?

Reply to
John J

Capri weighs in a little over 100 pounds. She's 10 months old. To late for the breeding as she's already been fixed. We also have her brother Chance. He weighs in around 120 pounds and is the same age. He knows how to bark and attack.

Capri isn't real good at guarding and protecting. When the other pyrs all go for coyotes or what not, Capri is relegated into keeping track of the goats and llamas. She stays right with them.

Once we finish fencing in the front of the property, Sue & Capri will be the official front guards and welcome committee. Sue is around 7 years old and only weighs about 80 pounds but I wouldn't cross her for nothing. She may be small but she is quick & tough.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

I'm thinking that Pico on guard duty would have been down right scary. He was the biggest pyr I've heard of.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

His looks undid his ferocious behavior. Those big, sad, almond eyes and that long, white fur. When Molly would walk him in the park a block away, kits would jump on him, hang from his neck. "Santa Dog!" Pico would act like they were not even there.

Small dogs with great aspirations would attack Pico. One bit his neck. Pico just kept walking.

But faced with a big dog, Pico went absolutely insane. A guy loosed his Great Dane toward Pico. I thought I'd have to shoot the asshole. After Pico ate his dog.

One day a small cop came over to tell me that my neighbor complained about Pico's barking. He took one look at Pico and said, "Holy Shit! That's the real deal!" and tore up the ticket, laughing.

Reply to
John J

You can't beat a dog like Pico.

1 that will tolerate strange kids yet can guard is a good good thing. Our's stay real busy because of all the wild dogs and coyotes around. Sue saved my ass from a pissed off mama bear one day and she was more then willing to take on the bear. Got an idiot down the road that thinks it's great fun to drive by real slow and tease the pyrs. May have to shoot him 1 of these days. He's been warned a couple of times. 1 of these days you and Molly may have to have another pyr. Let me know as I help with rescues and placement of them

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Therein is a famous virtue of the Great Pyr - they will take on anything big. There was a documentary film on TV showing three Pyrs taking care of a monster Grizzly. They work as a team, born to cooperate. They drove the Griz crazy with harassment. One would bite its ass, and dodge then another would bite it balls, and so on - it finally ran away in confusion.

Just wait until his sister gets pregnant and he has to move out of town to get married.

Dunno. While I have a great, fully fenced in yard with shade and shelter and lots of open area, it's the barking and stifling of the dog's life mission I could not abide. It's too late for us.

Reply to
John J

Thats kind of how Sue & Callie did it. They just kept coming at it from different sides and angles and the bear decided to go back into the woods where it was quieter

Doubt if he has a sister but I've heard rumors about 1 of his relatives and I've been trying to track down some real info on it.

Oh every once inawhile I come across a pyr that was just born to be a nice, quiet house dog. I know where there is 1 now that's a great house dog but she's kind of old and set in her ways. She does need a new home however.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Or you could get a AmStaff,or even a proper(smaller) staff(Staffordshire bull terrier) like mine, very friendly but train him to not like your neighbor. Very small and agile.. He would be surprised when the fence was no obstacle for the dog.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Joern's dog Odd is a riot! LOL We spent a weekend at a VW event in Sweden together several years ago, and he had Odd with him. We kept throwing sticks for him but when we got tired of it, he went into the woods and pulled small trees out of the ground whole, roots and all, and played with those... hahahaha! Little fella is 1/2 dog, 1/2 teeth. Very energetic :)

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I am sensitive to the personality of the dog. Some breeds are born to work. They literally go crazy if they cannot do the work. Terriers are like that. Border Collies are even worse - they 'talk' constantly, and look for hearding tasks.

I'm thinking lately that a Standard Poodle would be good. First, they are the most intelligent dogs, and they are also retrievers, water dogs. This is the Land of 10,000 Lakes - heck I live by a lake. What do you think? Or is it too cold in Minnesota?

Reply to
John J

Poodles in general are pretty good watch dogs and smart. They are not my favorite breed as they tend to bite me. Grew up around them.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Whoa. That's strange.

Hey - I just got home from the hospital & surgery two hours ago. They found three blocked heart arteries - 90%, 80% and 90% blocked. I was headed for the Big One. They put in two stents. Can't get at the other. It will need a bypass, but they think the drugs will take care of it.

Born again, my brother! I'm going to be well!

John J

Thats good to hear. Didn't take them long to get those stents in. How you feeling ?

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

excellent news John!

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Are you kidding? It took a long time. And they did not give me any sedative.

GREAT! No kidding. I already feel an improvement!

John J