horn cable connections. spare brown wire!??

Hi all,

Am reconnecting the wires for my 68 1500 Type 1 after a rescue/resto, am pretty much done with all the wires.

Except I have still to connect the horn, problem is I have two wires coming from the horn (black&yellow and a brown), these pass up into the luggage compartment.

According to the diagram I have, the black and yellow goes on tho the wiring block and the brown attaches to another brown wire.

It seems to me that the brown wire that sticks out of the top of the wiring column would travel down to steering column and come out below the fuel tank somewhere (maybe to earth)?

I also have one spare brown wire that comes from the bunch of wires that comes through the dash into the luggage compartment along with the wires from the ignition, this wire has a plastic sleeve on the end, where it is a one to one spade connector type of thing on it.

I've tried connecting the spare browns together, without any joy (guess it must attach to the brown that travels down the steering column somehow.

Any help in connecting these up would be most appreciated!

:)

Cheers Spike

Reply to
Spike

The brown wire from the steering column goes down to the horn. There may be another brown wire coming up from the horn into the luggage compartment.

Connect these 2 together to complete the horn circuit.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

On a '68, Blk/Yell goes to Fuse #2 and feeds power to the Horn.

At the bottom of the column tube (outer tube, not the steering shaft), there should be a male terminal. This is under the fuel tank (as you suspected), but you can reach it from the wheel well. That's where the Brw wire from the horn connects (maybe via a short section of Brw wire).

The Brw wire which is inside the steering *shaft* connects to a bolt on the rubber coupling. This provides a ground (thru the steering box bearings) all the way up to the horn button. When the button is pressed, that ground is passed onto the outer steering column (which is insulated from chassis) and eventually to the Brw wire to the horn.

John Henry has an extensive descript ion of the various horn schemes which were used over the years. Be sure to read the one that applies to your car:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Hi,

Have had another chance to take a look at the horn wiring, it seems that the male terminal on the outer tube is not there.

Is it supposed to be just on the end of the tube? if so, will have to make myself a work around.

I tried to look at bugsh>>

Reply to
Spike

John's site was up this morning. I read thru his explanation of the '68 wiring and it left me confused:-) I think he's saying that the outer column is *grounded* permanently on '68 cars. That is a change from '67. In addition, '68 used a new turn signal switch assy.

I bet it includes a "wiper" contact strip underneath the horn ring to provide the "Brw" wire return path. If so (I don't have a '68 to inspect), that Brw wire should come up thru the bottom of the dash along with the turn signal and ignition switch wires.

This falls in the class of "live and learn", I guess.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim