horn ground contact through lever?

I'm fixing my horn on my '65 Ghia. I've troubleshooted by horn (problems included poor connection on the jumper to the steering box and a bad relay), and I'm 99% of the way to getting the horn to beep correctly when I press the horn button.

The last problem I'm facing is that the chrome horn lever (the semi- circle thing) doesn't make a good electrical connection from the ground wire (that comes up through the center of the steering column and screws into the ring near the center of the lever) through to the copper donut on the underside of the lever. In other words, the copper donut is NOT grounded. I've checked. (But I can touch the ground wire to the column and the horn beeps.) I think the only problem left is that the chrome paint on the lever is a bad conductor.

So am I doing something wrong? I am surprised that anyone expected electricity to pass through the chrome lever. Maybe there is supposed to be some type of conductor/jumper that is supposed to go between the screw that holds the ground wire and the copper donut?

Here is a link to a photo:

(not actually my car, but it looks very similar) Thanks,

-Sam

Reply to
Sam

(not actually my car, but it looks very similar)>

Doug posted a phenomenal photo study of exactly what you have here:

See if that doesn't make it clearer and give you some things to test.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Great! I'll check that out. Does it apply to the '65 era Ghia?

Reply to
Sam

I have a newer setup, without the three pins. It looks sorta like this:

Again, my only problem is that the ground wire doesn't connect electrically through the chrome horn lever to the copper donut. I think I'll just put a copper jumper in there.

-Sam

Reply to
Sam

tp://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3D54&t=3D127622&start=3D0

Reply to
Sam

Good photo.

Have you tried roughing up the contact surfaces with abrasive just as an experiment to see if it will conduct?

Jim

here:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim,

I did, but probably not enough. I'll repeat. I just though I was doing something wrong because it seems like a design flaw to expect the chrome to be a good conductor.

Thanks!

-Sam

ttp://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3D54&t=3D127622&start=3D0

Reply to
Sam