Horn wiring question

Finally got around to investigating why the horn doesn't work on my '69 beetle - the earth wire from the horn has been cut by the previous owner! I assume this wire attaches to either somewhere on the outer tube of the steering column or thereabouts....? The horn rim earths the outer with the inner which is connected to the steering box...that's my take on it anyways! It's too dark to see now so I'll tackle it tomorrow.

--Steve

Reply to
Tunafish

Right on! There is a tab on the very bottom of the outer tube for the wire connector. It's under the fuel tank and hard to see.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Could you splain this again?

Horn on my 66 has two terminals. One goes to the tab on the base of the steering column tube(brawn?) Other goes where? My car came without a horn connected and I sure don't like not being able to at least let some of the other drivers know I am there!

Thanks, Mike

Chopped 66 bug

Reply to
Mike West

sure to read about the idiot with the chain-link steering wheel.ha!

Reply to
Shag

Fuse #1.

Download a color diagram here:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

..........That chromed chain steering wheel was when you first revealed your disturbing lack of aesthetic morals and that smiley face on the door sucked too.........lol

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I just checked RAMVA and saw there was one response to my post (above) and thought to myself "I'll bet Tim had something 'smart' to say." You're too predictable. :-) ps- I still have the steering wheel. It's hanging over the garage door. Watching... waiting...

(Yes, I'm bored.)

Reply to
Shag

....................See if it'll fit your wife's Honda.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I think I'll just post it for sale on ebay and give a link to the bugadventures site to give the history behind it. I could probably make MILLIONS... hmmmm....... I still have the rear apron from what eventually became the LCB... I wonder how much I could get for that...

Reply to
Shag

As Speedy Jim says one horn terminal goes straight to #1 fuse. It's the other one, the earthing lead that trips people (like me!) up. I now know it goes via the luggage compartment to the steering column outer tube right at the top. The wire that the silver horn rim is connected to goes down the middle of the steering tube exits at the bottom and connects to a steering coupling bolt where it 'jumps' the rubber ring and earths with the steering box bearings. A short jumper wire was used to bridge the rubber coupling on my previous 1970 bug. Like most jobs on a beetle expect to lie on your back and contort your body! :-) I've just replaced the tranny oil that was a pain in the neck.

--Steve

Reply to
Phatman