Hot air - should you feel a draft?

Trying to get the heater bits on my 71 bus up and working again. The PO had things pretty disconnected.

As I understand it, when you haul down on the them two red heater control levers you go into lightspeed. No, wait. That's the Millennium Falcon. In the VW bus, the hot air outlets on the heater exchange boxes are opened and warmed air is channeled up to either the vents under the dash in front of the driver and passenger seats, or out through the defroster vents atop the dash, depending on how the front-center lever is set. My question is: when you haul back on those levers, should you feel a noticeable draft coming out of the selected vent?

The rear underseat vents and the one located between the driver and passenger seats for the folks in the middle seat are closed.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

you should never feel cold air coming out of those events except when you first turn on the heater, in which case it takes a while to blow the cold air out of the system. I would imagine you have a copious leak somewhere. Begin tracign the system from the hoses off the shroud to where they go into the heat exchangers makign sure the clamp is there and hten from teh heater box to the flex tube to the tube that goes underneateh the bus and so on.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

If you mean a WARM draft, the answer is: MAYBE.

In my '66 bus (the only one I've tried) you can feel some airflow with the engine at speed. Just the other day I was rocketing down the interstate at

60 mph (!!!!), and because I was wearing shorts I could feel heat (well warmth) coming out of the vents. It was very gratifying, if not especially warming.

Reply to
Viking

Mmmmm . . . warm draft up legs.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Yes. If you don't, check the connections on the heater boxes to the heater channels (or whatever they are in a T2!).

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini De-Luxe 1964 Austin Mini Super De-Luxe
Howard Rose