How can I tell transmission/starter type?

I recently acquired a dune buggy and was wondering how I can tell if the transmission, starter, and generator is a 6v or 12v? If anyone can tell me where to look (pictures would be very helpful) it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Reply to
natedoggaz

Look on my web site for: "6V/12V Conversion Checklist"

Contains details about the differences.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks for the web link Jim! The engine is an "H" engine and has a California sticker on it that says it is a 1967 - but how can I tell for sure?

Reply to
natedoggaz

What I meant was, measure the starter shaft diameter. '67 H engine should be 12V.

12V generators had the regulator mounted remotely, if that helps.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I have heard that a "6V" or a "12V" might be stamped somewhere on the generator, starter, and or transmission? If in fact it is stamped on - where should I look to determine the voltage of those parts?

Reply to
natedoggaz

Reply to
John