How to remove tar from trunk

Hi RAMVA!

The SB I found a couple of days ago for parts and body sections has a thick layer of a tar like substance in the trunk. I don't know if a PO did that for waterproofing it or the gas leaked and formed that. What is the best way to remove that? wire brush? chemicals? ir should I just scrape it?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

A heat gun (is like a turbocharged hair dryer) and a scraper. You could also use some solvent like acetone to clean up the remainder.

-ANT

Reply to
ANT

Good, I have a big heat gun here I could use. acetone? I would have to get a couple of gallons.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

You may want to try several different types of solvent before you buy large quantities. Different undercoatings react to different solvents, ya know?

-ANT

Reply to
ANT

ANT wrote in this freaking newsgroup:

Cool, I have massive quantities of Tectyl (tar like substance) in the trunk of my SB and always wanted to remove it, but too lazy to try different methods. Since I have a heat gun, I think I'll give it a shot. It seems that the PO wanted this car to be super water resistant, so he/she literally dipped it in tar (well, not the external body panels).

I'm wondering now about the dangers of working with the heat gun close to the gas tank.

Ant (the other one)

Reply to
Ant

Dontcha mean "friggin" newsgroup? ;-)

I doubt a heat gun will get the gas hot enough to be a problem. It's not like you'd be holding a torch against the tank. Perhaps leaving the cap off and a fan blowing nearby would be a good idear. You're going to want plenty of fresh air working with whatever solvents anyway.

-ANT (the original and vastly superior one, don't accept substitutions, your mileage may vary)

Reply to
ANT

Corrected:

ANT wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant (the cool one)

and keep away from ALL fuel sources!! so remove the tank and block up ALL nearby fuel lines...

fuel + heat = bad

Reply to
Howard Rose

The "cool one"? LOL Now I gotta go wipe as I laffed so hard. Who luvs ya baybee?

-ANT (all Ants are kool!)

Reply to
ANT

Mexican food + My butt = Bad

And stay away from these oil cans, he hates these oil cans!!

-ANT

Reply to
ANT

ANT wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Ask ur wife..

Couldn't agree more.

Ant

Reply to
Ant (the cool one)

Ask my wife? I'd need a time machine to go into the future to ask her. Unlike most of my buds who'd need to use a Ouija board (nuff said)

-ANT

Reply to
ANT

Lipstick on shirt + wife = BAD

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

They don't want to - no green card / immigration visa !

Reply to
Oldbie

blonde Asian ????

Reply to