How to tune dual weber 44IDFs?

What the tuning method for these things? The basics I got from my previous engine with a Weber progressive, but now each cylinder has it's own barrel.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

if it helps i've got 40 dells... i bought a book on them.... how to get a rough setting on things ect.. what jets to use , venturies ect.. You'll also need to get yourself an airflow meter that goes in to the top of the carb , this is so you can balance them out.... any good Weber speciallist i though would have one £25 -> £40 depending on type

John

Reply to
John Skeldon

Main jet: 4-5 times VENTURI size. (This is a good starting point).

The idle jets should be optimal size, when you get proper idle mixture when the mixture screwe is 2 - 3 turns open. If you get good idle mixture with thge mixture screw just slightly open, or WAY open, then you need to try another size jet.

The idle jet is active up to 3000rpms or so. So the name is misleading. Just so you know.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

You better believe he's already got the ideal jetting. His engine is a Raby, proven on the dyno. He's just fishing instead of studying.

Reply to
jjs

No way do you have to do that. If you do a tear-down then only God knows what is happening after that. I'm sure Jake has some comments to make. I found that my plug wire(s) were at fault for something like your problem. That was my installation fault. IN ANY EVENT (oops, shouting), I'm sure Jake has some help for you. Please, please do everything you can with Jake before you post any more problems here. There are few, if any, experts of his caliber on this group.

Reply to
jjs

Already tried swapping plugs and wires. This problem started on the second day and is still present.

There's a weber expert in redwood city I'm going to call if I can't find the problem tomorrow. I sure wish Jake could have used the manifolds that point the controls of the carbs inwards :(

Reply to
David Gravereaux

So I finally did a carb tear-down and guess what I found? Behind the choke blocking plate are two, umm, sprung rods that slide up to enable the enrichment, should one have the "enrichment assemblies" installed.

Carb for #2 had it's rob stuck in the up, or open, position...

Everything is always easy in retrospect.. It sure took me a while to find it.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Whoa, now I'm worried. Real worried. I have those carbs and the engine always backfired at idle since day-one! Wonder if they are all so screwed. What does Jake say?

Reply to
jjs

I haven't mentioned it to him yet. I got the "enrichment assemblies" yesterday, which is why I found it :) At least now, without a choke cable hooked-up, the 'slides' are held down.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

My carbs are not right so I am in the middle of reading "Weber carburetors" by Pat Braden which has enlightened me on many items so far. The PO had foam filters which were so old that they crumbled and were sucked into and contaminated the emulsion tubes so I am in the process of "getting them right myself" Good luck guys. Dennis

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

I've had the same problem with a pair of 40mm Dellorto DRLA's. Chokes were deactivated.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I'm sure you are right John and I'm trying to learn but if I don't get it, I have a couple of other manifolds and carbs.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik