Hydraulic Lifters, Bus - Adjusting - newbie T4 engine

Just got a new T4, 2L longblock and put it in my 74 Bus. WHen I started it, the valves were tapping so loud. THe workshop manual says to bring the screws so the just touch the valves (zero clearance) then 2 full turns and tighten nut.

I noticed on some that after one turn of the tappet screw, the valve started to compress (open). Is this normal and will the lifter adjust?

On the1 and 2 cylinder, I did 2 turns. the 2 cylinder valves compressed a bit. I did not touch 3 but on4, i adjusted about 1 to 1.5 turns, just when the valve started to move.

I think the 1 & 2 are much quieter than the 3 & 4 side. There is still valve tap, especially ahenb driving.

Suggestions?

Can I do when warm/hot?

I used to have the solid lifters in an 1800 engine. I have adjust then often. .006 and .008 inches.

--Thanks

STeve

74 Westie, NJ (almost ready for its first festival of the summer)
Reply to
driver

The workshop manual is wrong!! It has been corrected in the later Bentleys. The adjustment should be 3/4 of a turn in from 0 lash on a cold engine.

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

I prefer to do as little as necessary. When first starting, some engine builders recommend initial run-in at 3,000rpm for 20 minutes. On my most recent engines I followed that advice and all the (new) lifters pumped up during that time. It was scary...(!) When I have had to tighten any up, I choose to go as little as necessary, but the 1-2 turns will not damage anything; they will adjust. (three-quarter turn would be better than 2 turns, in my opinion.) I suspect that if you ran the engine at a reasonable rpm that is high enough to provide good oil pressure, that eventually your lifters would have pumped up. If it's a used engine or assembled by someone who doesn't know what they're doing, 3000rpm no load for 20 minutes may be unwise! -BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

FWIW..............I used the two turns in method on a new set of lifters in a waterboxer several years ago without knowing about the updated information to use only 3/4 of a turn. They pumped right up and stayed quiet for about

40,000 miles. I don't understand why they changed their hydraulic lifter adjustment recommendation. Any ideas Dave?
Reply to
Tim Rogers

I don't know, but as I said, it should not be necessary. The original information I got was from Mark Stephens High Performance (R.I.P.) and later the let 'er run at 3000rpm for 20 minutes came from my local high performance machinist, NW Connecting Rod, as I recall. It seems to me that when I cranked 'em in way back when, it took forever for them to settle in whereas going to touch and just a tad more when new, then running, they came right up. Because some are very soft before run-in it is sometimes difficult to know where you are exactly, so after a few days I backed them off and went for zero plus a quarter turn and had excellent results. Have played a lot with oil viscosity. Some engines have preferred thick, some thin. It makes little sense. -BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

3/4 turn is plenty--2 and it will rattle like a tin can.

Prime the lifters in oil--via Bently Manual

Reply to
Henderson

Its been a while and about 500 miles out to PA and Back.

I will back them off. The shop that I got the engine from said 1 turn. He also said to add the blue STP oil treatment. He said the valve train in these engines love it.

They have quieted down some. But tommoro I will abck them all off to one turn.

THanks every>

Reply to
driver