I Hate FLAPS

Why is everybody out to sell, sell ,SELL? instead of helping a longtime customer? I lost respect for the local vw parts house a few years ago when they insisted I'd be better off with one piece windows rather then re build my stock doors to combat leaks. Then I decided ok, they were ok for valve cover gaskets etc, things they couldn't screw up, but no more big stuff, I mean they never heard of a SVDA but are more than happy to sell you a chrome 009. So the the other day I needed some bushings for the front end of my super, so I grab my WCM catalog and point to what I need, ok 5 bucks each, But the dude didn't mention I would need a $700 press to install them!! I wondered why he was smirking as he handed them to me, at the same time looking past me to the kid who was buying $500 worth of chrome for his Rabbit. I just hate going into these places when I have been driving VW's longer than these kids have been alive!! thanx for listening, that is all.

Reply to
Cletus

Well usually you can farm out the hydraulic press work for rather cheap. It cost me an hour labor(which I thought was a little steep...) to have the drop-arm removed from my steering gearbox, 4 bushings pushed out, and two ball joints removed/reinstalled on my 74 super. But even at about $65 bucks for labor, that's still a lot less than a $700 press...

Chris

Reply to
halatos

Ditto for me. Two inner tie rod bushings pressed-out for $20 at a local tire shop.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

As you just learned, you can hire out the press work cheap.

But in the spirit of your lament - decades ago I was rebuilding a Harley a little at a time. I'd look at the manual over breakfast, choose a page to follow that evening. I can't tell you how often I'd get half-way through the page when it would say, "Now use Harley-Davidson special tool #@%&^%%$". Eventually I wised up and found I didn't need it after all, but bought it anyway to make life easier for the next rebuild. Hah! Like I'll ever rebuild a Harley Big Twin again!

Reply to
john

FWIW, after replacing the inner control arm bushings (my mistake above) with stock replacements on my `73 Super, I later replaced them again with the stiffer neoprene "sportier" ones that didn't require a press to install.

Highway shimmies solved!

Reply to
David Gravereaux