I have to ask, whats best engine size for towing?

but it being a

And jon boats .... don't forget jon boats.

I miss mine:

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

My '72 Type 1 owner's manual rates it for 880lbs total trailer weight and 55 to

90lbs tongue weight.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

Some times I get into trouble suggesting this but to me it seems simple. Just rebuild a stock 2.0 Type IV. The engine was built for exactly what the guy is asking. OK it was not exactly built for towing but it was built to push around a late model two ton camper with the family, 60 gallons of water, a bed etc. and they have been seen towing things like motorcycles. From my experiances you should stick with the 2.0 71mm crank and rods. This was the low end torque setup. Yes you will have to convert it to an upright but you will also have bug that will do over 120mph, cruise at 75 all day and go

150,000 easy. The buses get over 100k and they weigh in over 2 tons. We are talking about a 1700lb bug. It is less expensive to rebuild a stock 2.0 T-4 then to build a T-1 to any size near 2.0 and the T-4 was made for your customers request. I have info. at my site
and also links to guys with much info on the subject. If he want to go a bit wild he can easily go to 2.5 with standard engine life. 160hp is in that area for a daily driver. The 2.0 with some mild work like a cam and headers, will pump out a easy 125hp. 914 2.0's came from the factory with 110 hp. Regards, Joe Cali - Next Generation-USA
Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

Hey that was the show up in Montgomery this year wasn't it?

Mac

Reply to
Mac