I need more (electric) power!

installed a new radio on my 79 SBeetle and it cuts out intermittently when playing a cd. It acts like a brown-out, starting right where it left off. It has an alternator and no other problems. Does anyone here know how to fix this problem--short of putting the old radio back in?

Reply to
<jbl

Since you didn't mention it only happening at night when the headlights are on....

I 'd check all your connections. My guess is that somewhere you have a loose connection. Do you have a good ground? Is it nice and tight?

Scott '60 DC

Reply to
Scott Fraser

Corroded connectors, loose fuse... look for those first. Does the whole car brown-out, or just the radio? dash light brown too?

Reply to
David Gravereaux

...give it a more direct power source. ...simple huh? Or use it as an excuse to evaluate your vehicles wiring in general...I have no probs of that sort with my 4x35 watt pioneer cd player...but then my wiring is in good shape. If you must, run a direct power wire to the battery WITH A FUSE AT THE BATTERY END.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth

Playing your home spun cd's?????

If that's what you're playing then it's VERY likely your recordings are kinda possibly the cause............I see 'em daily and the same complaint.

This is one of many possibilities.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Seen that alot with Memorex CDs, they are crap, junk, trash, garbage, etc....not usually a problem in home audio drives or computer drivees fur something about an auto CD deck just throws them for a loop

Sneaks

Reply to
Sneaks
< drivees fur>

No, I do not have any idea what that means or why I typed it.....

Sneaks

Reply to
Sneaks

Thanks for all the ideas. The wiring is still in really good condition and nothing else browns out. It happens whether or not there is a drain on the battery (lights, etc.) so I will try another radio. It's something I never considered because it is new. Who knows? Well, I guess I will soon enough.

Reply to
<jbl

Thanks for all the ideas. The wiring is still in really good condition and nothing else browns out. It happens whether or not there is a drain on the battery (lights, etc.) so I will try another radio. It's something I never considered because it is new. Who knows? Well, I guess I will soon enough.

You havent connected the feed for amps/electric ariel to the power?...have you. I had one do that, and I thought it needed power there. Disconnected it, and it worked fine....

Neil

Reply to
Neil

...so that is why I keep singing Celine Dion songs.....phew.....I thought I was just losing it......hey Travis....you know that Barry Manilow issue you have?.....What CDs are ya usin'?...

Sneaks

Reply to
Sneaks

Does this happen only when you put on your brakes or turn signals? That was what happened after I installed a new CD player in my '71 camper. Wiring in a small capacitor fixed it and it was about $3 in parts..

John

Reply to
JB '71 Campmobile

"Neil" wrote in news:tGsVa.208$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep4-glfd.server.ntli.net:

In only two instances have I allowed modern tech into my car, one of them being a Sony AM/FM radio-cassette player to replace the original Sapphire. That POS was so deaf, you might have a chance of hearing a radio station if you were parked in front of it and they had the windows open. Anyway, my wiring is in good shape (new harness in '81), the battery is new, but the voltage regulater is, as far as I know, original. When listening to a tape, the volume fades and surges as the voltage regulater kicks in and out. Nothing else electrical is affected. Kind of like your brown out. I can live with it, but for you, the VR might be a place to start.

Reply to
cloud8

Also instead of a new radio , try a large capacitor on the power source...................That sometimes will take care of short term power shortages..................for the radio anyway.