Igition Timing Importance! (LESSON LEARNED)

My Ghia couldn't go over 50 MPH in 4th gear, pedal floored....

I thought my clutch had grease on it. My engine was running too hot, couldn't touch the dip stick. Engine was hard to start. Engine misfired occasionally, diesels at shut off. Checked the vacuum advance, which worked fine. Checked point gap.

This AM, I set the timing STATICALLY.

The engine started easily. Took it on the Turnpike, did 65-70 MPH easily for a stretch of about 15 miles. What a relief.

( and yes the engine runs cooler)

As always, I jump to the difficult things...

LESSON: When someone or book tells you to check things like the timing, don't take it for granted----> CHECK IT!

Reply to
Mel P.