Ignition Switch 79 SB

Engine cuts out without any apparent pattern. My ignition key seems to have a lot of 'play' within the 'run position' - ignition switch. Just jiggling the key within the run position makes the car stall out (simulates the problem). Connected a rubber band between key - dashboard to apply tension to the key to the 'full right position' which improved the situation considerably. HOWEVER, did not fix my problem completely. Still get a stall usually at the most inopportune moment despite having now 'good tension - no wiggle' on the key. Putting the car in neutral and restarting gets me going again - until it happens again. Is there any other explanation besides a (obviously) bad ignition switch??? Thanks a lot. Irene

Reply to
rene

If you have to rotate the key all the way to the right to start the engine the switch is broken. It is a easy job to replace it. You can google and find a lot of sites with pictures of the procedure.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

"It is a easy job to replace it." No offense intended, but I have to take some exception to that.

On a '79, the steering wheel comes off, then the turn/wiper switch assy. (Watch out for leaks in the windscreen washer) Then the special '74 Up security casting (4 bolts). Unplug switch underneath. Now the entire lock housing/cylinder/switch can be withdrawn. Finally, remove tiny screw holding plastic switch.

Note that '79 uses a different sw P/N than '73 Down.

Vic has an article here:

Rob and Dave have:
Note that both are for earlier cars and don't mention the late security casting.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thank you guys (Joao/Speedy Jim) for the info and great links. Did not find these links when I googled the issue yesterday. For sure I should replace both parts of the ignition switch at the same time (electrical portion and the lock cylinder) - shouldn't I?. I suppose 'easy replacement' is a relative term. Have to study the info a little while longer before I decide whether to tackle it myself. Happy motoring. Irene

Reply to
rene

I thought it was similar to mine. I didn't know about the security casting. Also, my intension was to motivate him on the job ;-)

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Reply to
D&LBusch