Importing a car. Any tips or previous experience?

Hi I'm looking at importing one of the "Final Edition" VWs that will be made this month in Mexico. It will be brand new and I would like to drive it thru the border, and all the way to WI. Since this is a special edition, and it will only be sold in Mexico, I am not sure what special considerations I need in order for it to pass the EPA and DOT inspections.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Reply to
Armando Martinez

you can not license a mexican car in the US you can probably get it there but that's all you can do.

Reply to
Gregg H

Thanks Scott, I have been reviewing the information you gave me and, yes it seems as if I won't be able to do this.

I have already contacted the NHTSA asking about considering the Ultima Edicion for show and display, but I am assumming that those 2500 miles allowed yearly on a vehicle are very restrictive and will increase the insurance on the car.

I'll just have to buy mine and store it in Mexico for when I am there.

Reply to
Armando Martinez

"Armando Martinez" wrote

Please let us know what you hear back from the NHTSA ... and Todd has posted a good point about the EPA. I didn't feel like wading though it but there's probably some info about that here:

way the `On-Road Use' section reads at the NHTSA `Show or Display' page,it makes it seem that it only needs to meet EPA approval if it is to bedriven on the highway. Item 4 under the section `How You May Apply ForPermission To Import' also addresses the EPA requirements. Here's story about the presentation ceremony for the Ultima Edicion:
and several more links to news stories here:
Here are some pictures from the unveiling ceremony for the Ultima Edicion this past Thursday at Puebla:
and a firsthand account by someone that was at the ceremony:

Scott H.

Reply to
Ben Boyle

It sounds like you have a residence in Mexico. Could you not simply register the car in Mexico, and drive it into the US whenever you like? I imagine you could even leave it in Wisconson for long periods of time without any problems.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

Miguel at BTLMex owns several VW dealerships in Mexico. What you receive from him is a new Mexican Beetle mounted to a restored US pan. The process is a bit more complicated as I learned when I visited him in Nogales.

When the cars are brought across the border, they have the US pan already installed, but they also have the motor, headlights, speedometer, and some other minor parts from the US donor car. These are required to import the car.

Once on the US side of the border, the new Mexican motor, headlights, speedo, etc. are installed. So, there is a bit more work required than it appears. Still, what you receive is essentially a brand new car with the new car smell and plastic covers still on the seats.

Todd Kuzma

Reply to
Todd Kuzma

Reply to
Ben Boyle

I'm not sure how that would work. Could Ben maybe explain a little of how the person that owns the '96 car does it?

There is a "temporary import" possibility, but the car is allowed into the US only for a year, and then it has to be taken back (the US Customs website also mentions that this process cannot be done over and over). This process also requires permant residency in Mexico.

The biggest problem also would be that I reside in Wisconsin which is pretty far north (about 30 hrs driving time). I do not want to have to plan my "yearly vacation" to the border and back.

Like I had also mentioned, I want to be able to drive it around, for personal use, and am not sure about how the cops would react to a car with Mexican plates in a state that borders Canada.

(See posting above regarding what I have found about purchasing one in the States).

Reply to
armando martinez

Thanks everybody, Todd, Scott, Ben, etc.

Like I had mentioned before I have been in touch with the NHTSA but have not received a reply from them. I have found a street address where one is required to write (like anybody still writes) to request for consideration for Show and Display status. The Ultima Edicion satisfies 4 out of the 5 requirements for consideration, the one it misses is that there are (or will be) more than 500 autos produced. I do believe that could be worked around. I might have to write them a letter and put it in the mail.

Now, Miguel at Btlmex has written back, and mentioned that the $13,800 includes purchasing a new Ultima Edicion in Mexico, and completely transfering it to the reconditioned pan. No taxes, because I'm not in Arizona, and about $500 to ship it to WI, or I can pick it up in Tucson. What worries me about this process are 3 things: -Would the car loose some of its value because it wouldn't have the new pan (I would think that since they will be the last 3000 cars made, the registration number would be something collectors will be looking for)? -How would pulling apart a car, and installing it in a reconditioned pan affect the performance of the car, particularly in the long run if at all? -Would it be possible for me to save (have it shipped) the pan with the registration number, in case I ever want to transfer it back and maybe use it or sell it back in Mexico or anywhere else?

I have asked Miguel the above questions, and if anybody has any comments (including the comment about keeping it registered in Mexico that you can see below), they are very welcome.

Reply to
armando martinez

You have a valid concern about hurting its value by having the VIN number changed. I don't see how it could not hurt the collectibility of the Bug.

There just has to be a way to get one into the US legit. Most everyone loves the bug............

-- Terry B AKA VDUBBS Buggin in Bama

- vdubbs at highstream dot net64 Bug Rauchen

--------------------

reconditioned

Reply to
TerryB

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Last time I checked. There is one loop hole you could try. If you drive your car down to Mexico and Total it an accident (not to suggest you would do this on perpose) You can buy a new car to replace it and receive a Once per Lifetime exemption to the DOT EPA requirements.

Reply to
Chris Phillips