Increasing a 1300 to 1600

Can a 1300 case be opened up to accept the cylinders from a 1600 (85.5mm I think)? If so, any other mod's I need to deal with?

tia,

Reply to
Mel P.

Yes. The heads need to be opened up too. Pay attention to the compression ratio.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

If I buy the 85.5 mm P&C's and the matching single port head does that take care of it or do I need to do something with the crank.

Reply to
Mel P.

That takes care of the heads but you can never tell what the CR will end up being. Too many variables to tell, you have to measure and massage each engine individually to get it right. Always.

Jan

Mel P. wrote:

Reply to
Jan
1966 (I think) and newer 1300 cc crankcases can be fitted with 85.5mm cylinders without any machining. If the 1300 engine was singe port, I would keep it single port. Single port 1300 engine cases (F code) are single relief cases, with smaller oil galeys and a smaller oil pump that is very difficult to find a replacement. Lubrication is marginal for a 1600 single port engine.

If the engine was dual port, then there is no problem converting it to 1600.

The heads only need to be machined to accept the larger diameter cylinders, or better get a new / reconditioned set of 1600 heads, to have less work to set the compression ratio.

The 1300 crank can be reused if it is in good contition, it is a 69mm crank too. The only difference with a 1600 crank are the ovalled oil holes on the journals. You can exchange it with a reground 1600 crank.

Cam can be reused. If you had the vacum only ditributor (one big vacum canister) used on the F engines, it won't give the correct advance for the

1600 engine. You will need a different distributor in this case.

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '67 Bug.

Ï "Mel P." Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...
Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos