install turbo

I am ready to have my engine rebuilt. should I put my money in cams pistons e ct. or get a basic 1600 engine and add a turbo.I do not know how well the tubo works in a vw or they kill the engine . the car is for weekends any suggestions or experiences

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

Contact A.J.Simms at

He can set you up with everything you need to have fun, Make sure you have a brake system to handle any extra hp.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

You need to put your money in getting books and a basic auto class 1st. According to the post above, you don't even know how to unbolt your engine!

Reply to
Karl

don't be assinine....i can rebuild damn near any engine, yet i wouldn't have a clue on proper procedures for pulling an engine in a car i have no experience with....if i were to need to pull a v12 from an exotic sportscar i guess i'd need a "basic auto class"? Don't be a dipshit...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

Mario aka Kafertoys answered your question splendidly.

all I can say is, a properly built engine with a properly tuned forced induction can, and will, live a long happy life....they are easy(not exactly "cheap") horsepower.....

I like large displacement engines, and I love turbos....

here is my current engine:

Joey Tribiani

Get the VW Turbomania book for $18.

My opinion is that a basic rebuild is not sufficient for a long lived turbo charged air cooled engine. You need to really worry about compression ratios, cooling, extra oil capacity, balancing, quality of rebuild parts, quality of case (block) & crank used.

You can get 100-150 HP out of a T1 or better yet for longevity a T4 engine - for a $2k less investment (cost of turbo/plumbiong/etc)

Reply to
Wolfgang

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

I agree with Wolfgang. Hooking up turbo to the stock engine would not be as much gain as to properly aspirated engine. Meaning, right cam, good lifters and ported heads. After all your engine will have a lot higher compression, so your top end should accomodate all forced induction, and bottom end needs to be able to handle all the power and higher revs. So crank, conecting rods and pistons need to be ballanced. and you will need to have a lightened flywheel, hooked up to

8 dowel pin crank.

I would start with stock 1600 dp, with mild heads, dual carbs and merged exhaust. If you have 8 dowel pin crank you can put lightened flywheel. With lightened wheel you will have quick pickup.

Hope this helps, Anton

Wolfgang wrote:

Reply to
anton

LOL...yeah right.....cc for cc a turbo engine will outperform the NA engine.....i know exactly how dramatically a turbo can change an engine....i put several thousand miles on my engine before turbo'ing it.....you will not get a NA 1641cc engine to put out 138HP@6k and 153ft/lbs@3500rpms NA.....my turbo engine does....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

and that is at the rear wheels....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I didn't disagree with the fact that turbo will out perform. All I was trying to say is that it would be better to build even a stock displacement engine with better components if it's going to be turbo charged. If you have any kind of forced induction aspirated engine you should have good flowing heads and bottom end that can rev better. Using unbalanced crack will put more strain on the rest of the parts and eventualy cause more wear than non turboed engine. Turboed engine is more likely to be working a lot harded than stock, so it should have more help in doing so. That is all. Besides if he builds a good balanced and well flowing engine now, he can have something that will run a bit better than stock and onces budget allows always add turbo later.

Ant> >I agree with Wolfgang. Hooking up turbo to the stock engine would not

Reply to
anton

. If you have any kind of forced induction aspirated engine you

you have described the begining of *any* performance build, not just one slated for forced induction....

Turboed engine

driven the same, the turbo engine is more efficient and doesn't work as hard.....however, if you have more power, normally aspirated or forced, you are likely to use it.....

That is all. Besides if he builds a good

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Joey,

You read my mind better than I could explain my thoughts in writing.

Reply to
anton

Reply to
phybertek

Piss off spammer.

Reply to
Anthony W

"you should blog about it". is this going to be your reply to all posts in this group?

-anton

P.S. no need to reply with ~"you should blog about it".

Anth> > Can someone blog a Turbo engine project on

> It think my users would love to watch this journal.> >

Reply to
anton

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

Anton,

Please get a life. There is not need to get hasty on this news group. When you own it, only then should anyone really listen to you. I love Volkswagens and I am trying to spread the love.

So, If you have nothing good to say, then keep your big fat mouth closed.

-Phybertek ant> "you should blog about it". is this going to be your reply to all posts > in this group?

Reply to
phybertek

And secondly, My input into this group would be of no value other than trying to find someone who is willing to write a documentary style journal on this topic. I am at level 1 of engine building currently. I don't know the complete science behind turbo engines. Unfortunately, news group style posting are never a beginner's first stop for this type of information. You have to be seasoned to relate to this question and answering style of exchange and also have the ability to weed out egos.

If you are saying piss off spammer because you are really hiding you desire for other in the community to know what you know, so that you can charge them an arm and leg for service, then just say so. I believe the Internet was build on the idea of sharing information and sharing information sometimes in a free fashion. When was the last time your receive a bill for running your traffic across the UUNET or SPRINT backbone? Never! How much did Linux charge you to write your post on this Server that you think belongs to soley you? Nothing. Did FireFox cost you a pretty penny to use to view what I wrote as a response? I am sure not.

If you have nothing to say nicely about my comment, just move onward and ignore it. But you can't stop me from trying to find anyone willing to share knowledge freely. I am an Open Source programmer who continuously give to the Internet Community and I happen to feel that way about VW's as well. I am looking after the growth of the Vintage Volkswagen Community and some day you will understand where I am coming from. I am not spam, because my input is about making things better. I make no money nor charge for anything I am suggesting. As a matter of fact, I pay out of my pocket to spread the love because I have the money to do so.

-phybertek

phybertek wrote:

Reply to
phybertek