Installing new shocks: Old sleeve stuck!

While pulling off my old front shocks on my ghia (balljoint, if you wanted to know), the old sleeve (from the bottom of the old shock -- if I'm using the incorrect word here, its the thing that goes inbetween the stud on the car and the bushing in the shock) stayed on the bottom stud on the car. I haven't been able to get the thing off. Theres a slit in the back I can get a screwdriver in, but it doesnt loosen it up enough to come off. Any suggestions? Tried liquid wrench to no avail... Thanks,

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

either pipe pliers/wrench or use a hammer to tap that screwdriver to open up that split in the bushing...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

enough

Had the same problem on my car. Heat it with some kind of flame (make sure you get all the liquid wrench, oil, flamable materials off of it) and pull it off with vice grips.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Agreed. Anthony has the right idea. Shoot it with some heat.................lots of heat. enough to get just the sleeve mildly red and let it cool, then again , and let it cool, thord time ought to be enough to get the sleeve loose unless there's some other unforseen obstacle.

the growing and shrinking due to the cool down and heat up will "grind" on the rust there and help loosen it up.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

yes, you've gotten good advice. Good luck.

g adds. MONEY , what a concept

Reply to
BananaRepublican

If you can't or don't want to do the torch method you can just keep hitting it with penetrating oil and let it soak like any rusty nut or bolt. I got one loose on my '64 doing that but I was working on a number of other things and had the time to let it sit for a couple of days.

--

'64 sunroof Beetle '55 semaphore Beetle

Reply to
Mike64Bug

with penetrating oil and let it soak like

on a number of other things and had the

can try to "catch" the split in it with a cold chisel to open it up too

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
Busman

Thanks so much everybody. I'm going to try to get it opened up a bit with a screwdriver, get some penetrating oil in there, then pipe-wrench it off. Then, maybe a bolt breaker or the bolt freezing stuff that comes in a can, and if it still doesn't work, I'll see if I can get access to a torch. Thanks again!

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

Just a word of caution.

I remember my dad getting badly burned in the face as he got the gas tourch too near something on a shock. The shock burst and the contents ignited and spued out like a flame thrower.

That memory sticks well in my mind when I light up a tourch !

Rich

Anth>

Reply to
tricky

Be carefull if you are using a torch, the gas tank is above, and there might be a gas tank ventilation pipe in the wheel well. Remove this pipe and route it away from where you are working with the torch.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

I'm going to stay away from the torch, first because I don't have one, and second, because of the very plausible dangers. Thanks for the warning.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

Got it off! New needs quite a shove to get on. I had to put a socket around the stud and hit it with a hammer. Thats not normal, is it? Thanks!

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Holzer