Installing torsion bars Type II, is there an easy way?

Installing front end torsion bars in a Type II, is there an easy way?

The couple of books that I've read don't go into much detail in regards to re-installing torsion bars. It appears as though I need to pound them in with some aggression. But, I wanted to be sure.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Flgstonia

No aggression needed. As long as the center grub screw(s) are out the leaves will slide in. The *big* problem is that the leaves are "staggered" (best word I could come up with). They form a pattern (look inside the trailing arm socket) and must retain that pattern as they slide thru the center support way inside the tube.

Best way I found is to securely wrap the leaves into the pattern with tape. Get the grease off the area where the tape is to be applied.

If you shine a bright light thru the tube from the opposite end you may get a better feel for the problem.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks for the reply.

I realized after reading your response that I mis-spoke.

I am attempting to re-install the front end torsion arms after replacing the ball joints. Does this require some pressure, I didn't want to cause any internal damage by forcing them into the torsion bars, or tubes.

Thanks Jason

Reply to
Flgstonia

Should slip in easily, but the rubber bump stops may be in the way. Unbolt the stops. Leaves must be aligned for entering the arm.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim