Intake port gaskets

Are those pressed-tin intake port gaskets (DP) any good? Do we use gasket compound on them or just smoosh them?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Those are the OEM gaskets. The factory did not use sealant, but I have found that it's necessary if you want to avoid tiny vacuum leaks which will drive you nuts. Just smear a thin film of on the gasket and smoosh away!

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Grape jelly. I like it.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

So they produce vacuum leaks, if there is no sealant... Hmph. I know mine have no sealant. I know I have=20 vacuum leaks. I know, I'm pissed with them.

Are the metal gaskets reusable, if one should take off the manifold horns and apply favourite sealant? (which would be duct tape, but that propably is not a good idea here).

Reply to
Olli Lammi

I think the metal gaskets are one-use-only. They only squish once. Kind of like the metal gasket under the generator stand.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Reply to
ilambert

...when there are only 2 fastenersyou tighten diagnally??

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

The pressed tin type works well, but can achieve optimal sealing only once. They are crush type, as you tighten the intake manifold down, the gasket crushes and the relatively soft metal fills any uneven parts of the sealing surfaces. It won't crush right twice though.

Use no gasket sealant with them.

You can also get paper gaskets (thick, more like cardboard) that seal well, but they have other problems. With those it is easy to overtighten the intake manifold end casting nuts, and the paper will crush more right under the nuts, that it does in the middle. As a result the end casting "ears" start to bend, and can break off. Had that happen to me with paper gaskets.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson