is it that simple

Owning a pretty much mechanically original 6volt oval, I have always struggled with the 6volt issue - especially the brake lights. In my area (inside the capitol beltway) people are ignorant drivers and I always drive overly cautious as I am afraid some inattentive, cell phone using starbucks latte drinking idiot will rear end me. Anyway, I have resisted the urge to go 12volt, due to switching to a alternator rather than gen which just doesn't appeal to me since I want to keep it as stock as possible. I've read where people have tucked alternators under the back seat and or course used a Porsche 356 12 volt generator. Both of which have limited appeal. So, in the current issue of VWT I get in the mail - the one with the 1958 red & brown 23 window on the cover - that I had to check was NOT the same one listed on thesamba for 48 grand is a totally sweet glacier blue 58 bug and while reading I catch "the electrical system is 12 volt. Connie used the original generator and changed the field coil." Is that all there is to it? Am I missing something? Any instructions on-line for doing this? I guess worse comes to worse I just contact Connie & send it to him. - DB

Reply to
DB

Thanks Ant/T,

All I can say is I read what I read. I do recognize that a 6v to 12v does potentially require flywheel, wiper motor etc. BUT when I read the blurb and looking at the photo of the engine compartment - I see nothing drastically out of whack. Rewinding - eh sounds like too much of a hassle. - DB

Reply to
DB

A couple of months ago I read in Volksworld an article about changing your bus from 6v to 12v, and as far as I remember they even had to change the generator stand, since the 12v gen is slightly bigger and does not fit. Besides, if it was a simple question of a different coil there wouldn't be soooo many posts about the 6v-12v problem!! :) Gurus, correct me if I'm wrong.

Ant

DB wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

John,

Yep have done all the cleaning & checking. But again - gotta understand where I live. There are idiots everywhere, but they seem to be in record numbers here in DC and even more idiotic than what you would typically expect. I mean its to the point that I almost hate driving more tha a couple of minutes outside my neighborhood.- DB

Reply to
DB

(I happily await correction but) I *believe* you would deliver your Generator to a Electrical Motor shop who would rewind it for whatever spec you, uh specify.

hth, TBerk btw, I put a little more in the subject line hoping it'll catch appropriate replies.

Thank you for introducing me to a new term. Big I's. That seems to be the biggest problem. One thing I don't have to worry about (at least not too much) rolling wrecks. - DB

Reply to
DB

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:24:36 -0100, "DB" scribbled this interesting note:

Problems with brake lights? There shouldn't be, even with a six volt car. I know on ours you can see the brake light just fine, and it is a six volt system. All I've done is make sure all the connections are good and clean, especially the ground connections. Get those in good order and you ought to be able to see the brake lights just fine.

John Willis

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:10:47 -0100, "DB" scribbled this interesting note:

Oh, I unnerstan jest fine.

There once was a time, not too long ago, when driving in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas area was pleasant. Fun. Enjoyable. Those days are gone and will never be seen again. Between all the cabbies, housewives driving SUVs, and the Big I's (otherwise known as the me-firsters), not to mention all the others who ought not be on the road for one reason or another (rolling wrecks come to mind), I don't even feel too safe in the '72 GMC work truck I drive. Just today I choose to drive it to go grab some lunch instead of the '59 Beetle because of all those aforementioned individuals.

I understand just fine, believe-you-me.

John Willis

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:24:36 -0100, "DB" scribbled this interesting note:

As for the wiper motor, you can build you a circuit out of three or four components you can buy up at Radio Shack to step the voltage back down to 6V. I used to have a copy of a wiring diagram for just such a beastie, but I don't know exactly where it is at the moment. Surely with all the electrical wizards around here (Speedy Jim???) someone would have a diagram for one handy!:~)

John Willis

I believe that the late Porsche 356s and the early 912s had a 12Volt generator the size of the 6 volt VW generator. So it is possible for you to rewind your generator.

I could be wrong though! lol later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Which is good advice.

Unfortunately (you knew that was coming, right? :-) ...unfortunately, if the voltage drop is due to bad wiring you may still be left with dim tail lights and a mellow yellow glow instead of high-beams.

But it isn't because of the 6v system. And going to twelve volt is not the cure, although it will alleviate the symptoms... until you have your first electrical fire :-)

VW used cheap wiring. Corrosion is often present under the insulation. The older it gets, the worse it becomes. Which is why there is such a good market for wiring kits.

While the only solution to bad wires is to replace them there IS an an alternative that is less expensive and considerably safer than going to 12v (and keeping the old wires).

Replace you incandescent lamps with arrays of high-output LED's. You end up using LESS power than the present lamps but producing MORE light.

I explained how to do this in an illustrated article ("Big Red!") submitted to, and igored :-) by all the magazines. If anyone is interested... and has a secure place to post pictures, I'll dig it out.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

DC? There's that guy Bush, he's crazy!

Go 12v DB, you'll be able to see where you're going at night! I don't understand why you can't go standard 12v generator instead of fitting an alternator?

--Steve

Reply to
tunafish

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Veeduber) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m18.aol.com:

I doubt I have a secure place to put the pics, but I would love to have a copy of the article for myself as I have wanted to do this on my vehicles of which are 12V and not just VW's, I also want to convert my trailer and camper lights.

I like the way LEDs react and appear over the old bulbs. I have build several LED circuits that do a number of things, but just don't know what type of LED to buy for Auto use. I know they need to be pretty bright and vary depending upon running light versus brake light or blinker.

Reply to
TerryB

I think I'll take the time, go back and check everything just to be certain. If I find something I didn't find before great. If not, I'll check into the field coil aspect. With all the little odds & ends - I might be on the road by labor day. - DB.

Reply to
DB

On 16 Apr 2004 07:10:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Veeduber) scribbled this interesting note:

Yeah, I kinda' suspected!:~)

After we got our '59 I spent the better part of a couple of days cleaning up the electrical. I checked for voltage drops at various points, where corrosion was in evidence I cut back and spliced in new wiring-as much as was needed to get past the bad spots. I also ran some new grounds in areas like the headlamps which improved them drastically-same with the taillights.

All of this was, of course, after reading here and elsewhere for years-not to mention some simple, self-evident general rules such as rust is horrible for making a good, reliable electrical connection!:~)

John Willis