Is this my vacuum port?

I am currently running a 010 centrifugal dizzy. I would like to switch to a vacuum advance dizzy in the near future. The link below leads to a pic that I took of my carb. There's a port on the side that's plugged off, I'm thinking that's the vacuum port, but just want confirmation. The previous owner had a piece of hose plugged with a screw on it to plug it.

Steve Gift

yes... thats your vacumm port....

You also have an aftermarket (cheap) air cleaner that does not seem to have a breather.... you may want to get that one back to stock if possible.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

I generally figure that if I don't know how old a fuel line is, it's too old. Cheap insurance.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Thanks for the tip. There is small port coming off the back of it, not visible in this pic. I should post more pics and have my engine critiqued, good info. I will replace that air cleaner with my spring tune-up. Does that fuel line look pretty crappy? There's some braided stuff in there that is really showing the weave detail, straight up from the vacuum port. This should probably be replaced too I'm guessing. Cool, so I can run a vacuum advance dizzy...now if I could just find one. Saw them for $110 on aircooled.net.

Reply to
Steve Gift

We did not get down here carbs with dual vaccum ports, but from what I read, that other port would be for the retard side of the dual vaccumm distributors....

The one on the picture should be the one for the SVDA you should get :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Here is a good shot of the dual vac plumbing with a 34pict3. The "retard" side of the canister connects to the manifold vacume port.

http://63.230.74.177/baja/MVC-023F.JPG (Please ignore the cheesy aircleaner and blocked off air-horns.)

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

now that someone mentions it, i am curious, folks: is it advisable to change from mech to mech/vacuum distributor? my bus has a mechanical only. i have read that the vac-assisted type can give you smoother acceleration as the advance increases, but no real differences otherwise. true?

-mik/71 type2 seattle

Reply to
automatictransgression

Yes.

Max Welton

Also more advance at cruising speeds, when you have small throttle openings. Gives you better mileage.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

cool. thanks. trying to learn these things, take it all in...

Reply to
automatictransgression