Jack stands?

Where is the accepted places for four jack stands? (1) For storing it off the ground and (2) working on the brake system over the winter? Tia

Reply to
FKVDUB

I put them under front beam and rear torsion tubes.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

I've found that concrete blocks work great for this type of project... they're just the right height for this work and more stable than low-end jack stands. I put them under the front beam and rear torsion tubes.

T.

Reply to
MN AirHead

WHAT?!?!?!?!?

DO NOT use concrete blocks... they can break and are NOT stable... You do not want the car falling... especially on you!

Maybe you can get away with it as concrete blocks are pretty stong... But I would NOT recommend it!

Reply to
VWGirl

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 07:01:16 -0500, "VWGirl" ran around screaming and yelling:

as much as i dislike to admit it(JOKE) i'm with lauren on this one(no joke!!!) concrete blocks are very strong, when used as they are designed...but used to prop up a car(even a light beetle) can be a bit crazy....not worth the risk you take...you need your pumpkin attatched... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

YOIKS!

YOIKS!

IANAE, but as a non-expert I know that seemingly every manual wants to encourage me to not use concrete blocks as jacks. They can go CRUNCH, y'know, and then your noggin can likewise go crunch. I'd rather not have your noggin go crunch.

Reply to
mez

Ackkkkkkkk....and I'm agreeing with BOTH of you!...No CONCRETE blocks, no blocks of wood, no 2ton hydraulic jacks, use jack stands....they are cheap, hell not much more than concrete at HD or Lowe's.....I actually use mine in pairs on each end....and make sure you get the 4 point stands and not the 3 point stands.....more stable.....

Sneaks

Reply to
Sneaks

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:31:57 GMT, "Sneaks" ran around screaming and yelling:

LOL....don't ya just hate that..... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

very scary indeed...

ya know I have used honduh rims as jack stands before and they worked okay... of course i had no intention of getting under the car this way...

Reply to
VWGirl

Concrete blocks are a bad idea for this application. Because of the point loading that often occurs here, they can crumble suddenly and completely when you are under the car.

Even cheap jackstands are much safer.

-

Jim Adney