Jetronic help needed - Speedy Jim?

..Hello everyone. I've been lurking without posting for a long time now but now I've got a problem with my mostly stock '77 bug.

..So here goes: My daily driver runs great up until one day almost a month ago when I parked in a garage at work on a washout rain day, several hours later I come back out to go home and discover that I'm in a bad spot and that there's been a niagara of runoff from the ceiling washing right down into the engine compartment. Since then, it won't run on all cylinders at anything under about 2000 rpms. I run a fuel pressure gauge and an exhaust mixture gauge and it looks like the FI is running constantly too lean unless I'm using full throttle. Out on a highway, I can still blast along at 80 mph without any apparent problems but at lower speeds, I'm constantly struggling to keep the rpms up to keep it from quitting on me. My other problem right now is that it's winter here in NY and I've got my son's Accord torn apart doing an engine replacement in my garage so whatever I do to my bug right has to be done outside. I'm a fifty something old fellow who can't bring himself to spend a lot of time working on this FI system while I'm freezing my butt off in the dark.....lol

..So what's the verdict? Running too lean I think at low throttle because? In the past my air/fuel mixture gauge has given me a good sense of what normal readouts should be expected and now I'm looking at an all the way lean reading under all but full throttle and It dies almost immediately at idle. Normally at idle, the mixture runs a little on the rich side.

..Anyone who knows the '77 Jetronic system besides Speedy Jim out there? Where is Jim anyway? Hope you guys haven't got rid of him......!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Still here :-)

The #3 cyl head temp sensor has the biggest effect on mixture. It should measure about 2500 Ohms cold. That's like 20C. It will be somewhat higher if really cold.

As an experiment, you could wire in a pot (rheostat) so you can fine-tune the mixture. Maybe get a 10K pot. As the resistance goes down (engine warms up), mixture gets leaner.

Could water have gotten inside the AFM? It's pretty well sealed, but still.... I would open the thing up to inspect. The square top cover pries off fairly easily. There is a temp sensor inside which has a (small) effect on mixture. Damaged by water?

If you can get it to idle at all, see if all 4 cyls are firing. Pull plug leads off, one at a time and see if revs drop about the same for each.

Wholesale replace every part of the ignition system, including plugs?

Spray solvent all around the hoses to look for leaks; any change in revs will spot a leak.

Click on Library Click on "F" for Fuel Injection. Bus used same system as your bug. There are a few good troubleshooting articles on there.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

can't help you on your car, but i can drive up and slap you around a bit for even suggesting we might have run Jim off!!!

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Thanks Jim!

=2E.It's reassuring to see that you're just as speedy and helpful as always.

=2E.I'm at work now and won't be getting home until after dark tonight but I'll try to use your advice tomorrow or over the weekend and get back to you on what I find.

Once again.....you're the best

timmy (number three all-time RAMVA poster who's been AWOL for a few years)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Bring it on you slack-jawed.....NASCAR watching....goober eating ..... REDNECK

:)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Bring it on you slack-jawed.....NASCAR watching....goober eating ..... REDNECK

:)

i hate goobers....well except their leader, you are okay in my book!

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

LOL

I meant to add that corrosion in any/all of the various plugs is a possibility. Get a spray can of contact cleaner and pull each plug off (esp. the AFM).

This one is a good mystery.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

After you clean all the electrical connections, pack them all with dielectric grease. After that they won't corrode again.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

wiring that is exposed to the elements is Tony's business, listen to the man...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I agree with Speedy Jim on that cyl head temp sensor.

Listen for vacuum leaks. I will ASSuME that you checked that paper air filter. Did you also check the oil level?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
Kirk

ROFL Any engine is compared to the Carb Beetle Engine!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1