Kids & Beetles

I had the garage door open and the 67 was in the garage at a time when a family with a small child around 3 or 4 years old was walking by. Usually kids point and say Herbie or something. Our world has gotten diverse and our neighborhood is a mix of people from different cultures. This kid pointed to the Beetle and said "Taxi" Just thought that was interesting. That family must have been from Mexico or somewhere where they use Beetles as Taxis. Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

For a while, we had the '71 dressed up as Herbie (now undergoing a second restoration back to a more stock look). My daughter drove it to work one evening. She works in a pizza place in a shopping center. Two doors down is a Chinese carryout, family-run. My daughter looked out the front window and saw the mother and father from the Chinese place crouching down to take a picture of their young one (about 4 years old) standing in front of Herbie.

Now that she's driving the '69 to work while we fix up the '71, the mother and child stop by all the time and talk. The child still loves the '69, even without the stripes and numbers.

Reply to
Malcolm

I have my baja (BajaBarann - "Annie" for short) painted up like a toy, so naturally kids love it. In fact *everybody* loves it. One day I had a guy tell me "You know; I hate Volkswagens..." (& I thought "here it comes - he's going to tell me how much I've wasted my time & money) "...but I *really* like your bug."! Another time I parked next to an elderly couple (musta been in their eighties) & the lady got out of her car & said (in her raspy old grandma-type voice) "I like your car". I was camping with friends one weekend & noticed their daughter - mustive been around 3 or 4 at the time (& very familar with the car) - walking around the car & tracing the outlines of the patterns with her finger, talking & poking her finger: wish I could have heard what she was saying.

There are pics of Annie in the photos section.~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

hey - that website must have taken a LOT of work...I tried to sign your guestbook, but it says "pay your bill" :+) I live in Newnan (Coweta County), and am looking for someone to sand/smooth out my '72 Superbeetle daily driver...it's pretty rough and I just want it sanded and primered...I'm 52 and too tired/busy to do it... don't trust Maaco even with this... yeah - my 2 daughters (4+8) love our bug too!

Reply to
pmbedard

Yeah, I spent alot of time on it alright, but it is *way* behind in updating & repairs (I assume you saw the pop-up talking about the guestbook?). I haven't checked the guestbook in quite awhile, I guess I need to put it on my server to get it back up. Problem is, my $$$ have run out & the hosting could be dropped at any time - for all my sites including Screwed By insurance. Newnan is down in south Ga., isn't it? Please email me off-list, if you don't mind (would like to discuss your bug). imangelone@hotmail (.com) Thanks, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver