Leaking backup light switch

The backup light switch mounted on the front of my 73 beetle is leaking transmission oil apparently around it's plastic inside. Will I will need to drain the transmission?? Is there anything tricky about replacing the switch? Will anything fall out that I may have trouble with?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Ullet

It's an easy replace job, nothing will fall out:-) I think if you jack the front of the car up high, you will at least minimize oil loss. Work fast... Use jackstands.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Isn't it on the top side of the transmission nose cone? When I bought my bug I never could figure out where it was (and I had all the good manuals) so I ran a wire to a switch under the dash. Not that those lights are really bright enough to be worth the effort.

On a related note, what is the currently recommended weight/brand of transmission oil for IRS transmissions?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Thanks Speedy Jim! Good idea on jacking the front up.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Ullet