Left Stop Light Not Working, help please!

On my 1973 Beetle I have these replacement 3 bulb tail lights like this:

The middle bulb is the tail/stop light.

The stop light was not working on the left side.

I removed it and replaced it with the same bulb. Then it worked.

After driving the Beetle, I checked it again last night.

The same problem happened again. It worked OK after removing and replacing the bulb.

I think that when I drive and hit a bump the light bulb moves a bit and no longer makes contact.

I was thinking of putting a small piece of electrical tape on the side of the bulb to act as a shim and help keep the bulb from coming loose.

Any other ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Jim347a

Try carefully rebending the metal so that it firmly touches the bulb's terminals.

A tiny screwdriver should be all that you really need. Of course I am ASSuME-ing that the metal is all clean!!! A new wire battery brush is usually good at cleaning the grounding metal, and that screwdriver for cleaning the bulb holder electrical terminals.

I sometimes cut an old electrical cord to use some of the metal strands along the side of the holder while inserting the bulb to help ensure a better ground. Does this make sense?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I think I will try this. I have some spare 12g wires. I will try stripping all the insulation off a short piece, except for about 1/8 inch to help hold the strands together, and insert it the way you recommended. Thanks again!

--------------------

Reply to
Jim347a

As long as the strands dont touch centre pins!. Use remaining strands as replacement fuses if it does!!!!!. One you,ve got good earthing and reliable contact to centre pin etc I,d suggest using a heavy silicon grease to water proof/corrosion proof connections. John

Reply to
John

thanks John for adding that safety information! ;-) Not sure what you mean about "Use remaining strands as replacement fuses if it does" though! 8^o

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I shim with a wee bit of copper foil and I stick on some aluminum foil behind the bulbs to brighten things up. Thanks for keeping an old ACVW alive.

Reply to
One Who Waits

A lousy sense of humour!. Just if those strands on the side of the lamp touch the centre pins you,ll short the 12 volts (or 6!) and blow a fuse. Just suggesting you could use another strand to replace the fuse that just blew. John

Reply to
John

I think I will just use a small piece of electrical tape on one side of the bulb to shim it up and make a better connection. This way there will be no chance of shorts.

Reply to
Jim Ed

I checked it yesterday. I removed the bulb and wiped out any excess bulb grease. then I replaced the bulb. It was working OK. I also let out a little excess air from the rear tires, so it would have a little softer ride. I did not add any tape or wire strands. So far, so good.

Reply to
Jim Ed

I found a great way to check the rear tail/stop lights by yourself.

I just back up to one of the big windows at the Post Office. The big window acts as a mirror so I can check the stop lights through the rear view mirror.

Reply to
Jim Ed