Limited-slip differential! where?

Just researching this... Preparing for a bigger motor soon, and though I'm no drag racer (nor is my bug intended for the track), I want to at least look at the possibility over the standard open diff.

$1,095.00

That's crazy. Is this really the zone for an LSD on a type1 IRS tranny?

Reply to
David Gravereaux

im sure that dealers will have it lower than list price

Reply to
Erik Litchy

..............Add the Berg five speed conversion and a Raby engine and you could end up with $10k sitting on your garage floor.

........If I had the funds, I'd do it.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I concur ;) The budget is actually getting eaten-up by the Raby engine all by itself, so I'll stay with a super-diff open one :(

$1,049 is the best price I can find for the Quaife ATB. Yeah, I looked at the GeneBurg 5-speed conversion.. A good upgrade path for some day next summer after I make mo' money...

I hear the out-of-production ZF limited-slip diff has clutches that wear-out and that there's no source for spares. I don't know if this is true, though.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Oh yeah? How do you get it down to $10k?

Reply to
jjs

try this guy: snipped-for-privacy@canada.com

This is a copy of a post about pretty much this same question and the 1000 price tag over on STF awhile back in the offroad forum:

plenty of them for sale right now and for a LOT less than that price.

For the rest, a ZF is the factory VW limited slip differential. ZF is the company that made the diffs for VW, just like Hella makes the lenses for VW. It is a clutch type diff, just like the American cars had back in the 60s and 70s. It is made from all steel, unlike the aftermarket diffs, which are all made from weak cast iron. ZF LSDs are available for IRS Bug transmissions, Swing axle, and Bus. I have diffs for all of these except for 002 Bus.

Quaife makes a torque biasing differential to fit IRS Bug and for swing axle. But they are the ones that are over $1000, not ZF.

Reply to
Mark Detro

......................I was thinking that he could 'cheap out' and get Jake's entry level, mostly stock type4 for only $7k.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Minus cooling, right? If he's going to use the T4 in a Bug, he's probably got the additional expense and hassle of converting to upright cooling. That's going to add to the price. Jakes' T4 upright coolers are very spendy, but worth it of course. Joe Cali's upright conversion is reputed to be terrific, but labor/talent intensive. In any event, I wonder if $7k is not the whole story.

Best speak to Jake himself, but I'm not in the market for a T4.

Reply to
jjs

jjs,

Jim isn't wrong and nor are you. I'm capped @ $8k for this. And the Raby engine does come with his (was OPP's) DTM cooling system. Yes, I do need to have a tranny ready to accept it. The tranny is going to need a special nose mount and more solid back mounts and able to handle the torque. The real kicker in this is that it appears that I can't use the bus heater cores.

I talked it over with the wife. She wants heat and I really don't want to add a gas heater under the rear seat...

'scuze me while I make some calls.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Well that's just great. Don't even ask me what I paid, regardless of the $2,500 extra for the nickies. Take it and run. Far away.

Reply to
jjs

You probably got one his big engines with the 911 shroud, mine won't be.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Hell, no I didn't. I got what is possibly the last, or one-and-only T1 configuration. He seems to be done with those things. He probably is truly into T4s for good. So, stick with the T4 so you in line with his current interest because, bubbah, he don't give a shit about his T1 customers. He doesn't answer mail. Nothing. I'm having his engine put on an independent dyno and torn down to get to the bottom of this one.

Reply to
jjs

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:16:35 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.xxx (jjs) ran around screaming and yelling:

calm down John...is the engine giving you problems?...if all is well i sure as hell wouldn't have the engine torn down....especially given the reputation that Jake has....if nothing else you *know* he frequents STF, so make a post there....but calm down first....if he flat out ignores you there, then maybe you have a good reason to be pissed...i do know he did the CYW show last weekend so maybe he is swamped and trying to recover? J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Hey, I was on a rant. Friday, dead tired, pissed-off. Jake is surely busy as hell, but so am I. Stuff happens.

Reply to
jjs

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:36:45 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.xxx (jjs) ran around screaming and yelling:

wasn't knocking you for ranting John(like *I* would have any place to say anything about someone sounding off...LOL)....was just curious as to what had brought about this "rant"....hope all is well with your rat motor... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I don't know what all of the hub bub is all about. I purchased two 901 four speed gearboxes with ZF LSD, 4.83 RP and close gear sets, about

10 years ago, for less than 2K each.

One gearbox was purchased from Ken Lowry. This gearbox had seen ¼ mile use in the WidowMaker Fiat and Ken's Tera Soar.

The other gearbox, I had purchased from Dean Lowry. Dean bought it from a gent in I believe either Texas, New Mexico or Louisiana. It really does not matter. This gearbox was originally purchased by Joe Vittone of EMPI, in 1970 or '71. It was one of two that Joe bought directly from Porsche Motorsport and intended for installation into the Inch Pincher Too. This gearbox is NOS.

I firmly believe in the integrity of the Porsche 901 four speed transaxle. It can easily handle >300 HP in a vehicle with a gross weight of < 2000 lbs. Clutch packs for the ZF LSD, continue to be made available through the normal Porsche parts supply lines.

After considering a weak ACVW Type I gearbox, I have no regrets for having chosen the Porsche 901 gearbox.

Reply to
The_Mailman

So Ho do you "really" feel?

LOL

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®