Liquid cooled engine into a VW Thing (Type 181).

Can anyone steer me to a website, a business or individual that has transplanted a liquid cooled engine into a VW Thing (Type 181) ? I am considering transplanting one of the following engines in a pre '74 Thing. 1) VW/Audi 1.9L TDi. 2) 3.8 or 4.3L GM V6. 3) Late model GM aluminum V8. 4) As I know of one currently available, a Mazda R20, 3 rotor.

The vehicle will see mostly street driving with occasional off-roading in the local SoCal Mountains & deserts.

I am aware that KEP makes engine adapters.

I plan to run either a modified 002, 091 four speed or an 010 automatic.

Any guidance as to radiator installation, cooling plumbing & other "issues" would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance :}

The Mailman

Reply to
The_Mailman

The Subaru 4 or 6 Boxer engine is a frequent transplant especially for the bus.

Or the Mazda 6 --- suspect too heavy!

Wolfgang

If you want power -- why not a Type 4 Engine (bus type)....

Cutting a Thing is a shame.

Timmy

Reply to
MN AirHead

The owner of a local Denver VW shop has a waterboxer in his thing. His name is Patrick, the shop is 23 deluxe

Phone303.806.8062.

Mike

Reply to
mikesghia

Much as I like the simplicity of air cooled engines --- the Subaru transplant is a modern engine with easy performance upgrades (turbo) and supplies real heat for the interior.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I would like to thank all of those who responded to my post. You have awesome ideas.

I will look into the Subaru transplant as a viable option. The SVX with its broad torque band and >220 HP, is VERY interesting.

On a quick note, I opened one of the links, pertaining to the V-6 Baja. There is another link within that site. It referred me to Robert "Rob" Wilkes, located in Corona, California USA. Having read the information displayed in the link, and realizing that Robert is only a few miles from my home, I called him on the telephone.

Robert was receptive to my inquiry of his project. Robert has built a Manx style fiberglass, long travel, A arm suspension, street driven dune buggy. Robert used a Honda / Acura 3 liter V-6 engine.

Researching this engine I have found that it produces more torque and horsepower across the entire RPM range, than does the Mazda V-6 (referred to in one of the above links).

Personally, I shall have to overcome my hatred towards the Honda / Acura marque, before I can seriously consider it as a viable powerplant option.

In regard to a VW Type IV - Porsche 914 2.0 liter engine, I cannot consider it viable.

The VW Type IV - Porsche 914 2.0 liter engine is plagued with exhaust seat issues. Yes, I do realize that many shops claim to have solved these issues with their machining and installation techniques. However, I personally know of far too many of these engines which have had their cylinder heads modified, to continue to drop exhaust seats.

I do have connections with high quality CNC shops, that specialize in the machining of billet engine components, including cylinder heads.

An ACVW Type IV billet cylinder head could be produced with an altered exhaust port, similar to that of the ACVW Type I. Of course these billet cylinder heads would not by any means be inexpensive. Preliminary estimates range from $3,000 (USD) to $5,000 (USD), per pair. This would include all valves, springs, retainers, keepers, shims, studs and a quality five angle valve job.

Reviewing the overall cost of building a performance oriented ACVW Type IV engine, versus the overall cost of another production engine, excludes the Type IV from further consideration.

Once again, I thank all of you for your postings.

Respectfully,

Chris Andrews - The Mailman

Reply to
The_Mailman

.....................I don't know where you got your data and maybe it's correct, but as a third option I do know that a Maxima is faster than a V6 Accord or a V6 Mazda 626 and not by a small margin either. That Nissan V6 is the 'gold standard' for 24 valve, 3 liter V6's. Check it out.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Chris,

Check out this > I would like to thank all of those who responded to my post. You have > awesome ideas.

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe