Long trip ahead...Tips for me?

Going to visit grandparents in arizona and camp out for a week. I was looking for any tips, ideas, etc. Below is the link of my route.

I was specifically wondering about a list of extra parts that are a MUST to have with me for my bug?

There is alot of freeway driving, maybe best times to leave (for those who live in cali and know the climate) I was thinking 5 or so in the morning. My bug can pretty much cruise at 80 for a long amount of time (as long as i have needed to drive it on the freeway since i got it.) Thanks to a 1776cc in my bug, im going to keep it to 70 if i can, no real rush.

Anyways, any advice is great. Thanks ~Peace~

Nxqzablesk8er

Wow... been a while since we had this one.

I started this trhead (emergency kit) this summer and haven't had a chance to create it into a PDF file for my website...

I have a small suitcase that houses all the spares needed for the cars... Yes I've used it.

Here's the raw text.

T.

============start history===============Howdy.

There's been a ton of activity on the website I do.... everyone wants to have a packing list for an emergency kit.

I checked Muir and found some items... and have added some based on road failures.

The thought would be to make a kit that can be assembled at a swap meet and fit into a milk crate.

John Stafford always laughs at me pulling a complete long-block on road trips... maybe this will eliminate some of the road trip bulk

===========Around Town Version============= Muir Book Tool Kit Test Light Jumper Wire w/Alligator Clips Voltage Regulator Oil Loaded Distributor (new points, condensor and cap) Plug Wires & Plugs Generator Pulley Accelerator Cable Battery Cable Ends

========Road Trip Version -- Add to the Around Town Version======= Loaded Heads Oil Pump Valve Gaskets Oil Gaskets Carburator A Real VW Manual

Am I forgetting anything???? I've thought about seals on the road trip version and/or a clutch plate.... thought would be to bring a small box that would fix most break downs with things not commonly available

Your postings would be greatly helpful.

T.

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:31:06 -0500, "MN AirHead" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Fan/generator/alternator belt. Baling wire. Duct tape. Extra fuses. Bottle of water to drink (for road trip version). Fire extinguisher. Cell phone. Antifreeze...*cough*... :-)

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.The statements above reflect my own opinions and experiences and nothingmore. I don't pretend to be a professional mechanic, politician, philosopher, attorney, or chiropractor. Take any advice in this post at your own risk, and with a grain of salt. "Milk is for babies. Beer is for men." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Shag....

Guess my over doing it with a spare pulley would be pointless without a belt...

You're either one of the smartest ones around .... or I'm one of the flakiest ones around.

attorney, or chiropractor.

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:54:16 -0500, "MN AirHead" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

I dunno. I haven't got one of those $100 calculators just yet so I can't figger that one out. ;-)

... and a Christmas tree stand > On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:31:06 -0500, "MN AirHead" isd.net> left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began

... and a Christmas tree stand in which to put the antifreeze.

My God! Are you guys SERIOUSLY carrying all those things in your bugs? daily? Wow, I though I was smart taking a multi-use swiss knife in the glove-box..... :D

Ant

"MN AirHead" wrote:

ap)

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:32:23 +0200, Ant left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Nah, those are just things we know would be a good idea to carry, but don't anyway. Last time I had a flat tire I discovered I didn't even have my tire iron with me, and my jack was so rusty that I could barely get it to work. heh heh

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.The statements above reflect my own opinions and experiences and nothingmore. I don't pretend to be a professional mechanic, politician, philosopher, attorney, or chiropractor. Take any advice in this post at your own risk, and with a grain of salt. "Milk is for babies. Beer is for men." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Sure I carry a crate of spares.... This way it eliminates some of the road problems....

When there's an issue... about 1/2 of the things that can go wrong are eliminated since they're not in the crate.

I started carrying around the crate as a way to keep "inventory".... the I have a packing list and then stop by my store when I've used a few items.... do it on my terms and not drive around....

Since some of our cars are Big Unkowns.... it's a kind of security plan...

After being broken down in Kansas have guaranteed it wouldn't happen again

Most of our parts are given away at club/roadside breakdowns.

T.

attorney, or chiropractor.

I've seen many VWs with more parts than that > My God!

also not a bad idea to carry a length of fuel line and extra clamps...also an extra fuel filter....i *used* to also carry a 1/4 inch drill bit to jam into a broken brake hose and secure with a clamp...gotta be careful braking with a clamped off line, but it may get you home in the middle of the night...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off

AAA card. Someone already mentioned cell phone.

-Rob J

Chris Perdue wrote:

pffft.....i never leave my car....i only call for a tow if it has been in a wreck and is not drivable...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off

I broke a ball joint once, right when I was coming to a stop. Good timing, I thought.

Had it towed across town, and the idiots used >>From: Rob J

Not a bad idea to carry an extra lug nut/ bolt or two. Recently lost a valve cover at night on my type 2. Luckly I had another at home and I had her up an running in no time. Just imagine if it happened in the middle of no where. You can never have enough flashlights!

"Wild" Bill Tucker and Linda

'78 VW Bus ( Old Rusty and she actually runs )

'76 Bug (It's in the garage being rewired, and interior installed)) : )

'67 Squareback ( Soon to be on the Front burner! )

'56 Oval Ragtop ( On the back burner) : (

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

26 Aug 2003 22:32:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comPANTS (Chris Perdue) wrote:> >From: "MN AirHead">

If you don't trust the fuel lines, replace them at home. Ditto for brake lines.

If you're going to have perfectly good lines with you, put them on the car where they do some good.

Max On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:02:18 GMT, Max ran around screaming and yelling:

Max, if that is a valid statement then why carry anything? why carry a spare tire? why a spare fanbelt? just put them on at home...then if something happens on the road you are screwed...i take it you have never had very many parts fail while driving...its really not that uncommon...i can tell you exactly *why* i like to keep a bit of fuel line in the car...happened one winter...snow was fairly deep(14 or so inches) and snow packed itself up in the cavity under the fuel tank...temps came up, things began to melt, and a massive snowball with my fuel line(fairly new, so it would actually do some good) through the middle decided to drop out...bam, broken fuel line, empty fuel tank within a few minutes while waiting for a ride... You can carry, or not carry whatever you want, but don't be critical because others carry a little *insurance* with them... J "Joey Tribiani" wrote

I've had the same thing happen to me also.

-- Scott

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 04:18:46 GMT, "Scott H." ran around screaming and yelling:

LOL...well obviously you should have put good l> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 04:18:46 GMT, "Scott H."

None taken. ;-)

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 05:59:58 GMT, Max ran around screaming and yelling:

good ;-)...i was worried by your lack of responces...LOL J

Reply to
MN AirHead

I drive my 67 T-1 all over the northern part of the state from Eureka (My Locale) to SLO, Sac, Etc. I carry one spare fan/generator belt, Spare ignition points & condenser (Even though I run a pertronix Igniter) Spare brushes for my generator,

2 quarts of engine oil Spare clutch cable spare throttle cable Craftsman 10 in one screwdriver One small flat head screw driver that I can adjust the idle mixture with, A small 48 piece tool kit (Can get these anywhere) Toss out the POS ratchet & get a good 3/8" Craftsman ratchet. Add a 21mm socket for the fan belt pulley nut, 3 Emergency road flares. All of this fits neatly under my Rear seat on the drivers side. Inflated spare tire (I use a 145 series Tire because I have 195/50-15's in front & 205/60-15's in the rear) Class ABC 2 or 3 Lb dry chemical fire extinguisher placed in the trunk and mounted where it can be easily removed if there's ever an engine fire! (Get one that can be recharged) Tire chains if you're crossing over Hwy 80 (Couldn't see the route on Mapquest) Other than that, Make sure that your engine's in good shape & tune, Suspension properly lubed & wheel bearings greased & adjusted. Brakes are properly adjusted (Fluid level topped off & inflate your tires to 26 Psi (Front) and, 28 Psi (Rear), And the Transaxle's full of Gl-5. Keep the rpm's no higher that 4000 for long periods of time. My 67 cruises at 3200-3400 Rpm at 75 to 80 MPH. Cheers, Dave.
639587&1a=636%20Cliff%20Dr&2y=US&1s=CA&1c=Aptos&2l=hV4Z51pCLag%3d&go=1&ct=NA
Reply to
Nor-Cal VW's

If you keep your front tires inflated closer to VW specs (19 or something) then you will get better traction on adverse conditions and it won't impact fuel economy. Good luck on your trip!

Reply to
KWW

la9iXZXHea7QhQ%3d%3d&1y=US&1z=95003%2d5322&2s=AZ&2c=Quartzsite&1l=6MiDxDie

dY4%3d&1n=SANTA%20CRUZ%20COUNTY&2g=HdETW8vAi3gXUXNrVrO%2bEw%3d%3d&did=1069

639587&1a=636%20Cliff%20Dr&2y=US&1s=CA&1c=Aptos&2l=hV4Z51pCLag%3d&go=1&ct=NA
Reply to
Nor-Cal VW's

Well then, my advice is to eat a can of beans and blow yourself away.

Blow yourself to the mooooooooooon!!!!!!

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Dori