longer intake manifold studs?

I've recently switched intakes and now the studs in the heads that bolt down the intake manifolds are too short (they used to always be a little bit too short, but now they're so short that the nut only goes on about half way). Anyhow, pulled one out by double-nutting it so they aren't stuck too bad.

So hopefully one simple question -- in a case like this does one usually buy a longer stud, or does one just reinstall the existing studs backed out a little bit more?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott

you could put them in a bit from bottomed, if needed... if you do use some thread locker so they don't just twist in... My preference would be to buy some longer studs, but that's just me...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I have long studs on my 1600cc DP Type 1. I use 2 nuts on each stud to make sure the intake manifold does not come loose.

Reply to
Jim Ed

Using two nuts to lock the manifold down may not be such a good idea. This makes it difficult when replacing the plugs. I removed the no. 2 and no. 4 nuts or the rear most nuts on the intake manifold to get the plugs out easier.

Reply to
Jim Ed

I ended up going with the longer studs, and some of the 11mm nuts and wavy washers for them. The nuts are a bit tall, but I made sure to check and make sure the spark plug socket would still fit (closer quarters than I'd like, but doable).

Reply to
Scott