Looking for 1970 bus generator parts.

Hello, I am busy refreshing my engine tin for my 1970 single cab. I have the car in the shop being painted now.....

Here were my discoveries of parts i need. First off, my fan wore out......it and the hub. The hub is different on this model bus, for the alternator was bigger, and the offset on the hub is opposite that for a bug. Also, the tin that goes on the generator that bolts to the fan shroud. Once again, one of these parts is different, due to the generator size.

Last thing needed is a fan belt pulley for above generator. The inner piece (next to generator) is cast iron and different than others.

Any help is greatly appreciated. You can pmail snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net

The generator i have is pretty new, so not wanting to swap to alternator at this time.....just hoping to source the parts!

Reply to
vgonman

Sounds like you need 38A generator tin?

The 38A generator pully is a square D style. I have had difficulties finding them...

Reply to
Karl

Yes that is correct.

What does square D style mean?

Reply to
vgonman

The hole in the pulley where the shaft goes thru. The shape of the hole looks like a square D.

Unlike the standard 30A generator pulley hole. The standard pulley just relies on the two different size tabs to keep the outer half locked to the inner half.

The 38A pulley also uses the hole to lock itself to the shaft.

Reply to
Karl

Here are 2 pics of a 38A square D pulley:

Karl

This looks like a stock bug pulley.

This looks cast, like the one that goes closest to the pulley on the GL17X generator. From what etka says, maybe the "outside" half of the pulley from the bug would work with this. ETKA only gives different part numbers for the inner.........

You wouldn't want to part with that cast one would you?

Reply to
vgonman

That is the same pulley in both pics. They came with the 38A generator.

I may have one or two complete 38A generators w/all the tin here. It has been

106-107 outside and I just don't feel like looking in those temps :)

Reply to
Karl