Looking for 2100cc+ engine. Any Recommendation?

I'm adding my 2nd dunebuggy to my collection. The first buggy is a

1600 Dual Port Autostick which works very well for street driving. The power is OK and I really like the autostick, however I'm putting a 4 speed tranny and some more HP in the next buggy. I get the HOT VW magazine and am familiar with some of the vendors that advertise engines. I'm considering a 2100ccplus engine with dual carbs. Can anyone speak on the engine builders or ways of doing it yourself if that would be worth it. Scat, GEX and others I have read about. Since they all say they are the best, would like to hear from real users.

Also, with the added HP, which tranny and clutch options are best. This is for 100% street use on 15" tires.

Thanks Scott

Reply to
Scott

Try

if you are looking for >2L and long lasting

Reply to
Wolfgang

I agree with Wolfgang, also check out my site

you will be putting your money into an engine that will last. When you go beyond 1700 in a T-1 the life of the engine goes down as the engine gets larger. Joe

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

I would definitely recommend JCS Volks Machine in the Los Angeles area. They can be found at:

I had some plastic wrap and engine compartment insulation get sucked into the fan of my 1776. Burned out the engine and wanted a quality turnkey replacement. On the recommendation of my VW-Porsche mechanic, I contacted Dave at JCS. He was very responsive, offering suggestions, and above all, after sale technical advice and help by phone and email. Their customer service is top notch. I bought a 2110 cc, which produces noticeable increases in torque (over the 1776), the components appear to be quality parts (including a screen over the fan intake!), engine runs cool (340 degrees measured with a cylinder head temp gauge at #3 spark plug), and the prices were reasonable considering the quality of the components, their reputation as engine builders, and their customer orientation. Would I do it again? - without any hesitation.

Reply to
Emily Steed

How many hard miles do have on that wonder-engine?

Reply to
jjs

Approximately 5,000

Reply to
Emily Steed

I had bad luck with these guys:

They had an an advertisement in Hot VW's. I just got a shortblock 2110 from them. They didn't clearance the case properly.

Lane

Reply to
Lane Jennison