Looking for a VW

Hi everyone. A friend of mine at work is looking for a decent daily driver bug for his daughter. We are in washington state and he is looking for something hopefully rust free that runs good in the 3-4000 dollar range. Anyone have one in this state he can go check out? May go as far as northern Oregon. Let me know on or off list please. I will point him to the samba, etc.

Thanks in Advance

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:16:21 -0700, Thomas Malmevik scribbled this interesting note:

If you are in for a little drive, come to Texas, I'll fix him up with one!:~)

John Willis

the people that publish the paper magazines every monththat you can pick up usually in either the book store orat your local AM/PM. The above link will take you to theircollector car section and you can put in what you are lookingfor. I found 32 cars in Washington state, but alot were overhis price limit.

Carlos

1968 Bug
Reply to
Carlos L Qualls

Let me direct you to a GREAT Deal up for auction NOW on Ebay.....!

:-)

Central California!

vwluvrs

$3-4k would put her in a safe Toyota or Honda. I hate to see new drivers start off in a 30 year old car. A VW is great for weekend and occasion dive back and forth to work but not as a daily driver. Isn't it cold and rainy in Wash state - bad environment for air cooled VW. Is that what she or her dad wants?

Reply to
Wolfgang

................I drive my bug daily for about eight months per year when there isn't any salt on the roads. It really is a car that needs more attention both when behind the wheel and when it's time for oil changes, brake adjustments, valve adjustments, etc. When the overall condition of a bug is good, it's not that much of an extra burden to rely upon it. My backup plan for when things go wrong is to take back a set of wheels from one of my kids. Of course, they think that it won't happen because for a few years now there haven't been any major problems with this '77 (thanks to Earle Horton!). If the bug is in need of over all upgrading/rebuilding then it would be a big headache to need to drive it no matter what.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I drive nothing but aircooled year round, did the same in NY, Germany, and MD never found it to be any problem.

Driving more then 25 in the last 25 years I have been in 2 bad accidents in my bugs and walked away from both unhurt.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

I've used my bug as a daily driver for 22 years now. I've had 5 accidents and the bug was even hit once in a parking lot bad enough to rip a fender loose while no one was in it. However it's all been easily fixable. I've avoided numerous other accidents because of the bugs excellent brakes and nimble steering. Only once in all that time has my bug failed me (vapor lock soon after I bought it).

You show me some 30 year old Toyotas or Hondas and I might consider getting one, but until then I think they are pieces of junk that fall apart quickly and are unreliable.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

While the Beetle is fairly nimble for a car of it's era, most newer cars will run circles around it in maneuverability. I will admit that I don't see 30 year Hondas or Toyotas, but up here in the salt belt I don't see hardly any Volkswagens either so it's a pretty pointless argument. My personal opinion is that it isn't the car for a new driver to have. Maybe as a weekend thing but not as a sole car. I'd also say it would pay to go through it and make sure things like the brakes are sound. I have front discs on mine and they are extremely worthwhile as well IMO.

Reply to
Ben Boyle

This sounds a lot like another one of those " a VW Beetle would be a great car for a student/someone in college/high school, etc." Thirty years ago this would have been a great idea. In 2004 it's a bad idea. I even see eBay auctions frequently making this same statement. What are these people thinking? Any thirty+ year old car for that matter would be a bad idea. Finding a good reliable $3-4k modern car would still be a bit of a challenge. The best bet would probably be a private owner getting rid of a well maintained higher mileage car. I did that last year for my son who is in high school. I bought him an Acura with 110k on it for $5000. It'll probably see 150k before it has any major troubles, and he'll be through with it by then.

Reply to
Mike64Bug

car for a student/someone in college/high

it's a bad idea. I even see eBay auctions

thirty+ year old car for that matter would

The same thing that made a bug a good car for students "back in the day" makes it still a viable option. All that is required is a decent specimen, a modicum of mechanical ability and a little dedication.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Reply to
D&LBusch

Reply to
ilambert

Reply to
ilambert

Thanks Carlos.

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

I am sure you would John. Ill ask him if he wants to go that far......*8-}

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

I whole heartedly disagree with you Wolfgang. A ACVW makes a great daily driver. They are economical with gas, handle well even in the snow and rain, and are fun to drive. I have had 13 of them over the years and everyone has been a daily driver. With the addition of a 12 volt fan in the curcuit, the heaters are great. Washington state is a great environment for an ACVW. I always suggest them as a good car to have. Thanks for your thoughts.

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

I disagree as well. I live in central Illinois and daily drive my '73 SB year-round. Of course, my commute is only six miles/day round-trip!

Reply to
Birdlander

I would happily let my daughter drive my baja anytime she wanted to. It is a good solid car with many new components so the only thing 37 years old on it is the frame ad body. The hetaing system can burn me out of the car if I don't open the windows. The only AC we need here is to open the windows and the wing windows. Thanks for the input.